• Register Today It's free!

No Heat

kcpilot

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
I wanted some imput before I tried taking the Explorer in. I have a 1999 8 cyl Limited. My heat just recently stopped working and I wanted to see if there were any ideas why. My A/C works great and the heat that does come out seems to be engine heat, its warm but it doesn't kick out the 90 degree heat it used to. Thoughts.....

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have something jammed in there. I had a problem with a wierd smell once and it was also not warming up like it should. It turned out to be a dead bird.

mmm dont think anything is jammed up there. what about the thermostat...if it goes out would that not effect both my a/c and heat?

most likely a blend door issue

i would hope it is just a blend door issue. i've looked at the threads to fix the blend door and it seems like a fairly easy fix. if the blend door didnt work would the system still develop heat but just not get rid of it?

actually they suck to replace, but theres a quick fix on this site. as long as your heater core isn't plugged, in which case the truck should run a little hot, your truck is always developing heat. the blend door controls how much air is drawn over the heater core.

The engine temp gauge won't move much if you have a bad t-stat. If its getting into the normal range that's not the issue.

this is good...my t-stat has been sitting below cold for a while...i didnt think it was working. so i'll start with that and then move towards the blend door next

I'd put money on the thermostat. Mine's been doing the same thing for a while although i am getting some heat...not as much as I use to though. Will be replacing soon now that it's getting cold.

I'd put money on the thermostat. Mine's been doing the same thing for a while although i am getting some heat...not as much as I use to though. Will be replacing soon now that it's getting cold.

Let me know how that goes!!

Let me know how that goes!!

i really thinks its the blend door motor it probly has the little plastic gear strip out their easy to get at if your handy just take out the globe box and its rite there

i really thinks its the blend door motor it probly has the little plastic gear strip out their easy to get at if your handy just take out the globe box and its rite there

Its NOT the blend door motor. If the temp gauge is not getting to normal as the OP verified its the thermostat.

Replace your t-stat people. I gained 2 mpg when I went from a stuck open t-stat to a functioning one. You don't want your engine stuck in open loop.

Put a 195 degree stat in the thing and go enjoy your heater.

new t-stat it is! I'll let you guys know how it goes!! Thanks for all of your help!!

I wanted some imput before I tried taking the Explorer in. I have a 1999 8 cyl Limited. My heat just recently stopped working and I wanted to see if there were any ideas why. My A/C works great and the heat that does come out seems to be engine heat, its warm but it doesn't kick out the 90 degree heat it used to. Thoughts.....

Thanks!!

hi kcpilot,i have a 1998 limited(v8)...last oct. i had the exact problem...turned out to be my climate control unit......so the dealership said,had the whole thing replaced.....expensive also....good luck...rlc2020

If you had the exact problem, you got screwed. He isn't getting heat because his engine isn't warming up.

I had a HUGE problem last year with my heating. It went out, brought it to the mechanic.. he changed the usual suspects.. like the thermostat, flushed the heating system.

No go.. heating still sucked.. changed the heater core.. still nothing. On the last day i was soooo pissed that i spent so much money and he didnt fix it. about 5 min after i got home.. something exploded and anti-freeze was all over my driveway.

It turned out to be a hairline crack on the side of the radiator, it was sooo small that it must have been slowly leaking and evaporating because i didnt have any coolant leak marks where i park. Once he replaced it, I got my heat back, and $1200 down the drain :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back