no heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no heat

towncarblue

Reaction score
i have 2002 ford explorer xls .
the vents are blowing air and the a/c works fine.
now that its getting colder i flipped the switch to heat [manual controls ]
i hear a clicking noise coming from behind the controls [ only happens when i turn it to heat] . is there a relay or something back there ? how do i fix this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like the temperature blend door actuator is broken. There is a sticky thread a the top of the page describing a fix.

i did a temporary fix by flipping a relay .

" The air distrobution control valve is stuck. Remove the glove compartment (swing it out of the way) & stick your head up inside the hole. You will see a black plastic piece that is bouncing up & down trying to close a contact. Gently push it toward the rear of the vehicle with your finger, swinging it back & down. Hold it there till it clicks & the vent will change state & hot air will begin to blow again. "

i have 2002 ford explorer xls .
the vents are blowing air and the a/c works fine.
now that its getting colder i flipped the switch to heat [manual controls ]
i hear a clicking noise coming from behind the controls [ only happens when i turn it to heat] . is there a relay or something back there ? how do i fix this problem?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like you have a bad "blend door actuator". A cheaply made, small plastic gear inside of this actuator breaks off a few teeth and stops rotating the blend door when you switch from cold to hot temp settings. From many of the comments in here, it is best to buy a replacement Ford Blend Door Actuator, not an aftermarket one. Use you vehicle VIN number when ordering part. Expect to pay around $80-$90 for the actuator.

Blend Door Actuator repair link below, give thanks to "BigRondo" for the repair post!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

i did a temporary fix by flipping a relay .

" The air distrobution control valve is stuck. Remove the glove compartment (swing it out of the way) & stick your head up inside the hole. You will see a black plastic piece that is bouncing up & down trying to close a contact. Gently push it toward the rear of the vehicle with your finger, swinging it back & down. Hold it there till it clicks & the vent will change state & hot air will begin to blow again. "
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just a tip for you until you can replace the blend door actuator. I had to do the same thing you mentioned here, flipping the blend door by hand to the hot side by reaching thru the glove box. I found after the vehicle sat for a while turned off, the blend door would flip back to the cold side when I went to start up the vehicle and I would have to flip it back to the hot side each morning when I started the vehicle up cold. Try this, when you go to start the vehicle after it sat for the night turned off, turn the blower fan speed to high #4 setting before you turn the key over to start it, the fan will start blowing air as soon you energize the ignition and this should keep the blend door on the hot side, it did for me. Just remember to set the blower on high prior to starting the vehicle. Good luck with the actuator R&R. Let us know how it worked for you when done.

thanks alot BigRondo that repair is very detailed. it gives me the confidence to do it myself

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You're welcome. Be sure to let us know how you make out.

Just did mine too, I found the actuator for $34 on amazon. Dorman product

Back