No High Beams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cooldog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
When I push the MFS forward to engage the High beams, the low beams turn off but the fog lights stay on. When I pull it towards me to flash the high beams, nothing happens (low beams and fog lights stay on)

I have read some stuff about a Lamp out Module, but I think its only on Eddie Bower (I have a 2000 XLT).

When working on the Truck a couple days ago, I found a small grey box below the headlights by the wheel well. It had broken off of its mount, I couldn't find any thing written on it besides a ford logo, so i just zip tied it off to the side so it wouldn't be swinging. Ive read on other cars, that it might control the switching of high beams, low beams and fog lights. Has anyone replaced one before? or know a repair

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check fuses too, i had that issue and it turned out to be the fuse awhile back

I think I found the problem, the Daytime running light module (the small grey box I found before) had a massive hole blown though the side. When I removed it, all my headlights stopped working, so I'm going to try and get one from the scrap yard this week.

I think I found the problem, the Daytime running light module (the small grey box I found before) had a massive hole blown though the side. When I removed it, all my headlights stopped working, so I'm going to try and get one from the scrap yard this week.

Yup, it's the DRL module. Since the DRLs run on the high beam part of the bulb by sending a much weaker voltage.

So i replaced the MFS, the DRL and the Interior light dimmer switch (I don't know if it is related)

My low beams and fog lights work perfectly. When i flash my high beams nothing happens though, and when I click my high beams on the low lights dim very slightly and fog lights stay on. The high beam indicator turns on the dash though.
Fuse 33 is for the high beams, I replaced the fuse even though it looked fine. Im only measuring 10mV (maybe that is just enough to turn on the dash light and dim the head lights)

Any more thoughts on this problem? I have the exact same problem. I was wiring up a new switch for my aftermarket driving lights (which up to now worked perfectly, I just wanted a better looking, more conveniently located switch). Now I have the switch wired up and I've got no high beams, and no indicator light (and no aftermarket lights). As far as I know my driving light relay is good as is the fuse for the driving lights. Now I have no high beams, no indicator light, and my fog lights stay on no matter where the MFS is. They do of course go off when the Fog light switch is turned off.

Edit: Never mind problem solved. It was the #33 fuse. The manual simply lists this fuse as "headlights" not "high beams". Since the low beams were working I figured the "headlight" fuse was good. Having read in here that the fuse was actually for the high beams I went ahead and pulled it, it was blown. I replaced it and problem solved. Now just have to reassemble the dash (I.E. return to the original project!) Thanks for the help

Back