No instrument cluster lights after radio install??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No instrument cluster lights after radio install???

keesor

Reaction score
City, State
Belpre, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
I installed a new CD player tonight and now my instrument cluster lights are not working in my 2003 Explorer Limited. I think I screwed up by putting the dimmer wire and the illumination wire together. The CD player doesn't have a dimmer, so I think I should have just left it unhooked. I went ahead and cut the dimmer wire and just left the illumination wire hooked up.

Anyway, I checked fuse 21 in the panel which the owner's manual says is instrument cluster, compass and flasher coil, and it was not blown. I replaced it anyway and still no change. I even unplugged the entire radio connector just to make sure something else wasn't wrong but still no lights. It looks like the compass is not working either, but the flashers are working.

Anybody have any ideas??? Is there another fuse that I need to check?

TIA for your help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also found out my parking lights and my fog lights aren't working????? Anybody have any ideas?????? Please help!!!!!

I know when my auto headlights turn on during the day (fog for example) it is almost impossible to see the radio. The radio and instrument readings auto-dim when the lights go on. I really wish it did not dim to such an extreme. That's all the ideas I have.

Thanks volkl. The other strange thing is the CD player is still working fine. In fact it was working before I cut the dimmer wire????? That's why I don't see how I could have shorted something out?????

Nevermind, I figured it out. It was fuse #14 in the engine compartment. The daytime running lights fuse.

Back