No low coolant warning message or light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No low coolant warning message or light?

atikovi

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I've been noticing the cooling fans coming on more frequently in stop and go traffic then they have in the summer heat. I checked the coolant bottle and it's empty. The cause to be determined later after refilling, but isn't there a level sensor on the bottle to give you a message or warning on the dash

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you regularly check the coolant level? If so and it was full recently, let's hope the water pump hasn't failed and the coolant leaked into the engine. The first thing to do is check the oil on the dipstick to see if it appears contaminated (milky). Did you happen to check the engine temperature gauge to see if it was indicating 'Hot'?

Peter

Do you regularly check the coolant level? If so and it was full recently, let's hope the water pump hasn't failed and the coolant leaked into the engine. The first thing to do is check the oil on the dipstick to see if it appears contaminated (milky). Did you happen to check the engine temperature gauge to see if it was indicating 'Hot'?

Peter
Oil is fine. Does not have a temperature gauge but did get a message about high coolant temperature.

Oil is fine. Does not have a temperature gauge but did get a message about high coolant temperature.
Most vehicles have an indicator to let you know if the temperature is high/hot or low/cold. Do you recall when you last checked the coolant level? Any leaks that you can see? The engine cooling system is like a closed loop and a drop in the loss coolant level should be minimal at best if checked on a regular basis.

Peter

Most vehicles have an indicator to let you know if the temperature is high/hot or low/cold. Do you recall when you last checked the coolant level? Any leaks that you can see? The engine cooling system is like a closed loop and a drop in the loss coolant level should be minimal at best if checked on a regular basis.

Peter
Checked a few months ago. Yes I assume there might be a leak, I'm just surprised there isn't a warning light for low coolant level. Many older cheaper cars and trucks have a sensor in the overflow bottle for that.

There is nothing in the Manual indicating a Low Coolant level. Just a warnings for an overheated engine, which may be a little late.
Keep a close eye on the level. There is no way it should have dropped that much without there being a problem.
Not sure if you've seen this thread; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Checked a few months ago. Yes I assume there might be a leak, I'm just surprised there isn't a warning light for low coolant level. Many older cheaper cars and trucks have a sensor in the overflow bottle for that.
a tip: since this vehicles have the famous water pump issue, check the coolant level once a week (that is what i doing), better safe than sorry

a tip: since this vehicles have the famous water pump issue, check the coolant level once a week (that is what i doing), better safe than sorry
Does the 3.7L have the chain drive pump?

From what I read, the pump has a weep hole to guide coolant outside the engine if there is a leak. How does the leak damage the engine?

New PIU owner and was researching the dreaded water pump failure a bit.

From what I understand there are two seals between the coolant and the oil. In between there is an area with an outlet that empties out near the alternator. If you are seeing that area get crusty or see coolant leaks on the ground below it that would be an indication the first seal has been compromised.

I believe there are more instances of where the coolant ended up in the engine as opposed to leaking from the weep hole.

Peter

Had a low coolant level on mine, turned out to be leaky heater core and a royal pain to replace :(

From what I read, the pump has a weep hole to guide coolant outside the engine if there is a leak. How does the leak damage the engine?

There is a seal and I imagine bearings around the shaft (impeller on the inside and chain sprocket on the outside). If that seal fails (and it can fail all at once) water drops into the oil

So even if you check fluids weekly, or send your oil to a lab like I do. You could still have a catastrophic fail

3C24BB64-E915-4978-A82E-079973D2FAC4.jpeg
698D3B09-8D69-486F-B6A2-1D369F9223FC.jpeg

3C24BB64-E915-4978-A82E-079973D2FAC4.jpeg

Do the Ecoboost engines have this internal water pump design?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the F150's don't have this? What's the difference?
My understanding is that the water pump was mounted internally to save room under the hood

Back