• Register Today It's free!

No Low Range?

Explorer1958

Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle , inthe state of new south wales in Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97XLT
In my 97 XLT manual transmission , you turn the selector to low range and nothing happens?. Short story first. In the bush ,selected 4*4 low and inadverantly let the clutch out before the low indicator came up on the instruments, a bang was heard from the g/box area, thats going to hurt. Thought has to be the transfer motor so bought a new one and installed. Still the same :mad:, checked all the fuses and all OK. Did notice that when under the truck and t/case motor removed that I could turn the trianglular drive shaft easily with my fingers through an arc of about 180 to 200degrees of rotation?. I think I read in this forum somewhere that you should need a pair of pliers or something to move this shaft?. Has something come adrift inside the t/case?.
Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Explorer1958

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should not be able to turn the shift rod (with the triangular end) by hand.

My guess is that you broke the shift fork:
shift_fork_slidinggear.jpg

Or you knocked the fork out of the helical ramp thing:
shiftmech_side.jpg

You should not be able to turn the shift rod (with the triangular end) by hand.

My guess is that you broke the shift fork:
shift_fork_slidinggear.jpg

Or you knocked the fork out of the helical ramp thing:
shiftmech_side.jpg
Thankyou very much for these clear photo's. A pictures worth a thousand words. I'll take the old girl down to the local g/box/transfer case repair shop and will be able to explain the situation more clearly now.
I do have one more question though. I noticed 2 sensors in the t/case housing when I was changing the motor. I get no reaction from the motor when I rotate the dash selector knob, is this because these sensors arn't detecting the correct position of the internal gearing in the case and the electronic 's lock out any motor operation?. remember that the whole thing was going just fine until the "bang" was heard from the g/box area.

Take a look at the 4405 Rebuild Diary in the stickies at the top.

No Low range

Thanks Glacier991
I'm printing the applicable parts and I'll have a read.
Thanks

No Low range

Thanks Glacier991
I'm printing the applicable parts and I'll have a read.
Thanks

Back