• Register Today It's free!

No more AC ! :D

akcrogers

Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4WD 4DR XL
First off, Glacier, I read all of your warnings in hundreds of other AC posts, but I live in ALASKA, there are only a couple of days a year where it would be nice to have AC, not enough to make me want to pay the arm+leg to have my AC redone right. Black AC death was a risk I was willing to take.

So... My AC quit blowing cold a couple years back, and after being quoted some rediculously high $ to get it retrofitted, I went with the $30 diy kitt. I've got a small leak somewhere, but its the kind of thing that for $30, if it worked great, otherwise oh-well. My AC blew cold as an ice-cube for the hottest month of the summer, but then gradually died out. Last week my compressor started cycling, signalling that I was low on coolant.

Today I popped a non-ac serp belt on, and all is good again. I'll either try to diagnos/rebuild the AC next year, or otherwise pull it out and toss it. Is there anything else I need to disconnect in the meantime, or is it fine as it is, w/o drive belt power?

Thanks

I would think that you wouldn't want to turn it on, but I don't know much about that. Someone here will be able to help you

I dont see taking the belt off being that big of deal nor turning it on shouldnt be that harmful. One thing i wonder though is why not convert the compressor to air so yuou can air your tires up?

Matt

Yeah, I was thinking about the air compressor deal. But all X mods are on hold while I save up for the 35s and gears. Sooooo thats why a serp belt that just bypasses the ac for now seemed like the best idea.

Back