• Register Today It's free!

No more drive!

nolongerjips

Reaction score
City, State
Trinity, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 4x4 Auto
Ok.. my tranny has been living on borrowed time for a while now. I posted a thread called "Reverse getting worse" a month or so ago, where I explained that reverse slips pretty bad - but still works.

Heres the latest frustration!

2000 Explorer XLS 4.0 OHV 4x4 with 5 spd Auto

I drove about 20 miles from home yesterday to pick something up. Lo and behold - I try to drive away and the tranny will not engage forward whatsoever. Reverse works! I drove in reverse about a mile and half to a church where someone could find me. I finally figured out that if I put the truck into 2 or 1 - it will drive forward - and then I have to shift into D/OD after the truck builds up speed. all gears shift ok and they all work - but it just wont move if you try to start off in D/OD

any ideas? might this be just valve body stuff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this condition once on a 1966 OLS and it was a simple O RING THAT goes between the pickup and the filter... I think this is a good place to start assuming you already checked the tranny fluid level.. George

yeah I checked the fluid. The filter was replaced and it was flushed maybe a year ago.

So this is something I can check by dropping the pan and looking without ripping out the tranny

Yep just pull off the filter and have a look see.. George

I got a 92 ranger..Only reverse,no forward..I checked the filter O rings they are new..
But could somebody tell me where/what is the valve body?

The valve body is the brain that routes fluid to each section of the transmission. The passages look like lines on a map. Check the sticky thread in the transmission section called the A4LD valve body rebuild diary for more information.

i have this same exact issue on my 97 with the ohv engine. did you happen to find a solution to your problem? any advice would be great!

I've got the same problem, however after a week or so, the "going to 1 or 2, then back to drive" quit working and now all I have is reverse. The truck is a 3rd vehicle, so I haven't been in a rush to get it fixed. I was thinking of taking it in this week. But perhaps I should pull the pan and take a look see. If you find something, let everyone know.

Thanks, Blueraven

One more thing, does anyone have any indicators other than "no drive"? I have no OD light or codes. Also, if I lift the rear end up my back tires do slowing rotate.

Blueraven

You still have some engagement if your tires are moving. The pressure is probably too low to make a firm engagement into gear. Check the main pressure, and the EPC pressure ports with a 0-300 PSI gauge.

sorry "nolonger", I didn't mean to hijack your post.

Blueraven

i have no indicators other than the malfunctioning issue. i have to put the truck in lw 2 tho, then into d once i get going. it acts the same in low 1. i can feel it want to engage and go, but it just wont. Brooklyn, what and where is this valve body you mention? i would like to take a look at mine, but unfortunately (or fortunately lol ) i havent encountered transmission issues before and not too familiar with their components. you also mention EPC, what is this? one last question. i have the 4.0 ohv with the control trac 4x4. what transmission model do i have.

where is the valve body located? do i need to drop the whole tranny, or is it accessible by removing the pan?

Back