No more Park

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I was at the Ford Dealer today picking up some Toreador Red Touch Up Paint for my latest project, a 1998 Mountaineer 5.0L/AWD.

I got back into my Explorer and started the engine. It died almost immediately, which is weird, because that has NEVER happened. I went to re-start the engine, and I got NOTHING. Literally...NOTHING. I went to climb out of the X, and noticed the vehicle started rolling more than the 1" that it normally travels before the Park Pawl catches.

I set the parking brake, got out and looked under the hood for anything that was obviously wrong/out of place....I found nothing.

I get back in the X, put it in Neutral, and it started right up. Put it BACK into park, and the X started to back up.

So it seems I have lost Park somehow. I now have a CEL, I scanned it, and it is a DTRS code, out of range....something.

OD is where is should be, as is Neutral. There is also a 'dead spot', as in no real 'detent' like there used to be when going from Reverse to Park.

Where do I go from here?

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was at the Ford Dealer today picking up some Toreador Red Touch Up Paint for my latest project, a 1998 Mountaineer 5.0L/AWD.

I got back into my Explorer and started the engine. It died almost immediately, which is weird, because that has NEVER happened. I went to re-start the engine, and I got NOTHING. Literally...NOTHING. I went to climb out of the X, and noticed the vehicle started rolling more than the 1" that it normally travels before the Park Pawl catches.

I set the parking brake, got out and looked under the hood for anything that was obviously wrong/out of place....I found nothing.

I get back in the X, put it in Neutral, and it started right up. Put it BACK into park, and the X started to back up.

So it seems I have lost Park somehow. I now have a CEL, I scanned it, and it is a DTRS code, out of range....something.

Where do I go from here?

Ryan

Broken Park Pawl? imp

I don't think it's that. When my cluster indicator shows Park, I am actually in Reverse. The engine will power my vehicle backwards. Where Park and Neutral fluid paths are nearly the same, with the exception of the additional Park Pawl engaging for Park.

Ryan

Reverse AND park will power the X backwards.

btw, this is my `92 X that thinks it's a `97. Full swap completed just over a year ago. Dash, wiring, full mechanical, drivetrain...you name it...it's in there...

Ryan

Don't the 1st Gens have P R N OD D 2 1? where as the 2nd gens have P R N D 2 1? (push button od)

And you dropped a 5.0/4r70w in your truck? I'm think maybe that your gear selector and cable for your 1st gen is messing up with the alignment of what the 4r70w is used to...

But I don't know your build, just some food for thought. And I don't really explain why it would happen now and not before...

It's ALL `97. Dash, steering column, wiring.....the works. The only thing that is still original is the sheetmetal...and even THAT has been modified.

Ryan

Ah. I would much like to see your truck, if we ever met, and I didn't know what you just said and I got in your truck. I would first, "WTF?" then just bow down to you. :p

</offtopic>

Well, I looked up under the dash.....I pulled the panels to give me 100&% access. No dice. The bolts are all there, tight and accounted for....

What else do you think it may be...

Ryan

I think the cable got mis-adjusted... if reverse is in park, it could just be a little off......

do all the other gears line up properly? (neutral is not drive, etc?)

try adjusting the cable a but over-radically the opposite direction (in otherwords, so when it reads overdrive, it's actually in neutral, neutral is park, etc...) and see what happens (so it can pull the trans's shift lever a but further towards the park location)

it could just be something is loose in the valve body where the lever goes.. i think those cable-actuated levers usually turn some kind of a rod, which they are bolted to.. that would be my next check.

1st gear is still 1st...

Only Park is missing.....I will now have to wait until Christmas to look at it. That is my next day off.

Ryan

TTT....

Anyone have anymore ideas on this?

Ryan

Sounds like the valve body might be going nuts not making the parking pawl engage. Maybe part of the gasket tore and is now diverting fluid to the reverse bands. Just a thought since everything externally is fine. Let us know what the outcome is!

Reverse isn't the issue. It's only Park that is affected.

Ryan

if you had an xcal device or the like, you could datalog the transmission range sensor to be sure the "park" signal is being sent to the ecm.

Sounds like a you were just catching park before and something has changed in the linkage just enough to not catch it anymore.

Forget the gear indicator and look at the cable, its mount, its adjuster and the shift lever.

Sounds like the valve body might be going nuts not making the parking pawl engage. Maybe part of the gasket tore and is now diverting fluid to the reverse bands. Just a thought since everything externally is fine. Let us know what the outcome is!

Here's where I'M missing out on this one: do these vehicles use some means other than a mechanical method of engaginjg the Park Pawl? Obviously, the TSS switch, think that's what they call it, needs to "know" that "Park" is engaged, to prevent possibility of electronics turning "on" any of those solenoids.......TSS Park signal would "lock" them out at the PCM.....imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks....I am going to have to jack it up to look under it....

Ryan

Back