johnwartjr

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
96 Limited V6

18x,x.. miles

This is our 'spare' vehicle, so it's sat for the last 6 months, other than to start it up a couple times and drive it around the block.

I decided to change the oil.

After changing the oil, the 'check gauge' light is on, and the oil pressure gauge shows no oil pressure.

It was at its typical mid way position before changing the oil.

I've verified the oil is at the correct level, the drain plug and filter are both tight and not leaking.

I know the oil pressure sensor is nowhere near where I was working while changing the oil.

How should I troubleshoot this problem? It starts and runs, doesn't make any funny sounds or metal on metal type noises..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely it's a bad sender and needs to be replaced. As has been discussed here many, many times, these gauges are glorified 'idiot lights', which can't show anything except 0 and "Normal"; "Normal' meaning anything above 5 PSI or so. Even if a replacement sender makes the light go off, your pressure could be very low. For this reason I would not drive the truck before checking the pressure with a mechanical gauge (a healthy engine should produce about 10 PSI per 1000 RPM when warmed up; somewhat higher when cold).

96 Limited V6

After changing the oil, the 'check gauge' light is on, and the oil pressure gauge shows no oil pressure.

It was at its typical mid way position before changing the oil.

I've verified the oil is at the correct level, the drain plug and filter are both tight and not leaking.

I know the oil pressure sensor is nowhere near where I was working while changing the oil.

How should I troubleshoot this problem? It starts and runs, doesn't make any funny sounds or metal on metal type noises..

Yeah. Here is where an ounce of prevention saves a pound of cure.

Its quite possible that its the sender. Feel like gambling? I'd do like 1998Ex said. You'll have peace of mind and a bunch more money, even if you need a new oil pump. They are much cheaper than new engines.

If it truly didn't have any oil pressure, you would absolutely hear it.

Well, it got the point where it was either start it and try to drive it to the scrap yard, or call a tow truck to drive it there, so I opted to try and drive it there, since they pay by the #, not whether it is driven in, or towed in, and I'd have to pay for a tow.

After a couple laps around the neighborhood, the pressure gauge started working and has worked since.

Once the pressure gauge started working, I decided to try and sell the explorer, and it sold. So, I'm no longer an explorer owner.

I have a stack of new parts I was hoarding for the explorer - almost all Motorcraft - and was going to post a thread here to make some deals and find the parts new homes - but I'm not going to become an elite explorer purely to move a few parts - I'll just head over to eBay or Craigslist and sell them there.

I have new motorcraft radiator hoses (all 3), a new aftermarket water pump, new motorcraft radiator cap, new motorcraft plugs and wires.

Sounds like we'll soon have a new member on this site, and he/she will be asking what to with an Explorer that someone just sold them, and now it has no oil pressure.

Well, it got the point where it was either start it and try to drive it to the scrap yard, or call a tow truck to drive it there, so I opted to try and drive it there, since they pay by the #, not whether it is driven in, or towed in, and I'd have to pay for a tow.

After a couple laps around the neighborhood, the pressure gauge started working and has worked since.

Once the pressure gauge started working, I decided to try and sell the explorer, and it sold. So, I'm no longer an explorer owner.

Sounds like we'll soon have a new member on this site, and he/she will be asking what to with an Explorer that someone just sold them, and now it has no oil pressure.

I was open and honest with the buyer about *every* issue this Explorer has, including the oil pressure gauge.

I sold it for less than what the pull a part yard offered me for it, because I thought if someone could get some use out of it, someone should get some use out of it.

At close to 200k miles, it had a leaky transmission, bad ABS pump, rusting wheel arches and rockers and a rough interior.

In the last 20k before I parked it, it had new front hubs, new rotors and pads all around, new spring shackles, new fuel pump and tank straps, new blower motor, and a fair amount of other parts as well.

It'll be a decent beater for someone who is mechanically inclined and has the time. I lacked the time.

If my post sounded like blaming you for dishonesty, I sincerely apologize!

I was open and honest with the buyer about *every* issue this Explorer has, including the oil pressure gauge.

I sold it for less than what the pull a part yard offered me for it, because I thought if someone could get some use out of it, someone should get some use out of it.

At close to 200k miles, it had a leaky transmission, bad ABS pump, rusting wheel arches and rockers and a rough interior.

In the last 20k before I parked it, it had new front hubs, new rotors and pads all around, new spring shackles, new fuel pump and tank straps, new blower motor, and a fair amount of other parts as well.

It'll be a decent beater for someone who is mechanically inclined and has the time. I lacked the time.

LoL sounds a lot like what I just bought!! I'm in PA though.

Back