No overdrive after intake job...

Cheddar_Dan

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Top, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Exploder XLT
Hello,

Just had major intake work done to fix coolant leak. Now the auto trans does not go in to highest gear (overdrive). I suspect a vacuum hose or such, but have you got any ideas to get me started? If not, back to the mechanic we go.

Best!!
.cd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes a 94 has a vacuum modulator on the auto trans that requires a vacuum line. The auto trans vacuum line leads up to the vacuum “tree” on a 94 ohv engine, rear of the intake drivers side. It is a black vacuum hose that goes down the spine of the transmission

Your mechanic should have hooked this up and verified all connections

Yes a 94 has a vacuum modulator on the auto trans that requires a vacuum line. The auto trans vacuum line leads up to the vacuum “tree” on a 94 ohv engine, rear of the intake drivers side. It is a black vacuum hose that goes down the spine of the transmission

Thank-you, much!!!

I see rubber vacuum line from the vacuum tree that moves toward the middle of the firewall and attaches to a metal tube that drops straight down toward the ground. ... Might that lead to the modulator (The modulator that my mechanic says I don't have)?

Yes it leads to the passenger side of the transmission, behind the metal heat shield there is a vacuum modulator

The a4ld also has a self adjusting kick down cable that should be reset

Yes it leads to the passenger side of the transmission, behind the metal heat shield there is a vacuum modulator

The a4ld also has a self adjusting kick down cable that should be reset
Thank-you, again 410Fortune! If I have any energy left after work today, I will dig deeper into the tube/line mystery!! TY!!

I see rubber vacuum line from the vacuum tree that moves toward the middle of the firewall and attaches to a metal tube that drops straight down toward the ground. ... Might that lead to the modulator (The modulator that my mechanic says I don't have)?

ANOTHER CLUE: first time night driving since the gasket surgery and I noticed another oddity... Upper speedometer dash lights slowly faded out from about the 35 mph to 55 mph area. I had a bump in the road and the lights returned to normal brightness... Guessing I'm dealing with an electrical harness issue someplace after the massive disruption to fix a intake gasket :(

Check the connections at your battery and battery cables

If it shifts fine in gears 1-3, I think it's probably an electrical issue

Back