No overdrive, fuse #26 pops when replaced. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No overdrive, fuse #26 pops when replaced.

chedderslam

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4wd
I have not been able to use the overdrive button on my automatic tranny shifter. When I push it, nothing happens. I looked in the owner's manual, and replaced fuse #26, which the manual lists as for:

5R55E/4R7OW
overdrive, DRL
system, backup lamps,
AWD, rear defroster

I do not know what the first line means.

Also, I do not know if this is related, but one of the wires that goes to the switch controlling 4wd was out. The dash light for 4wd was flashing. I replaced the wire and 4wd works, but have run out of fuses to test with. I just wanted to see if that could have caused the fuse to blow. It says AWD for #26 in the manual, not sure if that is the same as 4wd.

1997 Ford Explorer eddie bauer 4wd.

I am unemployed right now and cannot afford a mechanic. But I am getting really bad gas mileage(13 mpg). I am hoping it is because the OD is not working and fixing this will save gas.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission type

I have not been able to use the overdrive button on my automatic tranny shifter. When I push it, nothing happens. I looked in the owner's manual, and replaced fuse #26, which the manual lists as for:

5R55E/4R7OW
overdrive, DRL
system, backup lamps,
AWD, rear defroster

I do not know what the first line means.

5R55E refers to the V6 engine transmission and 4R70W refers to the V8 engine transmission. Which engine do you have?

Also, I do not know if this is related, but one of the wires that goes to the switch controlling 4wd was out. The dash light for 4wd was flashing. I replaced the wire and 4wd works, but have run out of fuses to test with. I just wanted to see if that could have caused the fuse to blow. It says AWD for #26 in the manual, not sure if that is the same as 4wd.

1997 Ford Explorer eddie bauer 4wd. . . But I am getting really bad gas mileage(13 mpg). I am hoping it is because the OD is not working and fixing this will save gas. . .

I don't have 4 wheel or all wheel drive but I do have a 1996 wiring diagram and a 2000 wiring diagram. There were significant wiring changes in 1998 so my 1996 diagram should be close to your 1997 wiring.

Does Fuse #26 blow when you replace it?

I have the v6.

#26 still pops when I replace it.

Fuse 26 related circuits

Fuse 26 powers the rear window defrost. Make sure th defrost switch is off.

Fuse 26 powers the transmission control switch (OD on/off). The output of the switch goes to the PCM.

Fuse 26 powers the backup lamps when the transmission is in reverse.

Fuse 26 powers the daytime running lamps. Do you have this option?

Fuse 26 powers the 4x2 solenoid.

Fuse 26 powers the 4x4 solenoid.

I suspect the reason the wire was disconnected from the 4WD switch was because the previous owner determined that 4WD was blowing the fuse. Did the fuse blow before you reconnected the wire? What color was the wire that was disconnected? Did your overdrive work before you reconnected the wire? Does the fuse blow when the switch is in 2WD?

The 4wd wire got disconnected when I replaced the antennae. I pulled the thing around the stereo which the switch is attached to while working on the head unit. The 4wd lights were flashing, like they were when the car stereo shop worked on the head unit a few months back and they accidentally disconnected the switch.

I bought the explorer a couple of years ago and OD was working. I do not remember when it stopped working, a few months ago?

I do not know if I have day time running lights. How can I tell? The headlights turn on automatically at night, and stay on for a bit when I turn off the truck. I do not know if they are running during the day.

The fuse blew before I connected the wire.

I do not know the color of the wire, but I think it was the middle one going into the switch.

OD did not work before reconnecting the wire(lately) but worked in the past.

The switch is in 2wd and it is blowing the fuse.

Thank you for the help!

Daytime running lamps & 4WD

I don't have DRL but my Owner's Guide states the following:

"Turns the headlamps on with a reduced output. To activate:
the ignition must be in the On position and the headlamp control is in the Off or Parking lamps position.
. . . The DRL system does not activate your tail lamps . . ."

There's a day/night mirror/autolamp sensor mounted in the rear view mirror. Some members have experienced a short there because of water leaking in. That would cause Fuse 26 to blow. Can you disconnect the wire connector to the mirror?

How did you determine that the 4WD is working if Fuse 26 blows?

How did you determine that the 4WD is working if Fuse 26 blows?

When I turn the switch the light near the gauges/speedometer indicate it is on. I have not driven with it on though.

Two wires going to the rearview mirror, removed the one that was a plug, couldn't remove the other. Fuse popped when I put ignition to on position.

DRL module

I don't know much about DRL but apparently there is a DRL module that generates a pulsed output and applies it to the headlight low beam element. It sounds like something complex enough to go bad. If you can find the DRL module and disconnect its electrical connectors that would help isolate the problem source. The DRL module receives power from Fuse 15 (15Amp) located in the power distribution box (under the hood) and Fuse 26 in the interior fuse panel. If you disconnect Fuse 15 you should only lose DRL and the fog lights. Your headlights should still work when switched to on. According to my 1996 wiring diagram the DRL module is located at the left (driver) front corner of the engine compartment.

Thank you! I will give it a try tomorrow.

I've been having the same problem on my AWD '97 Explorer.

I have replaced the fuse & tried to eliminate the variables.
The overdrive switch & rear defroster work fine. I can put the vehicle in reverse & the backup lamps work.

But, if I put the vehicle in DRIVE the fuse blows.
Any thoughts?

Today I replaced the fuse and tried the following:
Turned overdrive on/off & rear defroster switch worked.
With transmission in R, backup lamps turned on.
I selected gear 2 & everything held.
The automatic door locks also worked as we drove off.
At the stop sign, I shifted to (D) and the fuse blew.

I feel I've ruled out: overdrive, DRL system, backup lamps, rear defroster
The problem must be in: 5R55E/4R7OW or AWD

Another post suggested taking off the steering column cover & checking the overdrive selector lever/switch for corroded wires. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? What about the airbag? Do I have to do anything special so it doesn't accidentally deploy?

IT'S FIXED!

THE PROBLEM

THE FIX

(Lost Photos)

hey guys, same issue, tried everything listed above, still nothing, rear defrost, auto lock, o/d etc.going bonkers

IT'S FIXED!

THE PROBLEM
wirefinger.jpg

THE FIX
fixd.jpg
Well what was the problem ??????????? the problem and the fix only show an X

Back