• Register Today It's free!

No overdrive in low range

Jakemiller

Reaction score
City, State
Yuma az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4door eddie bauer
I have a 93 with the a4ld and just wanted to verify if this is normal but in 4wd low the trans doesnt go into overdrive so its only a 3 speed even if i shift between drive and overdrive manually. If this is normal and there is a way to bypass it so i can get od in low i would appreciate the info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 93 with the a4ld and just wanted to verify if this is normal but in 4wd low the trans doesnt go into overdrive so its only a 3 speed even if i shift between drive and overdrive manually. If this is normal and there is a way to bypass it so i can get od in low i would appreciate the info
I don't know for sure, but how fast are you trying to go in low? It is LOW after all....

Typically the overdrive is a weak part of an already weak transmission. I’d stay out of it.

Typically the overdrive is a weak part of an already weak transmission. I’d stay out of it.
agreed, if youre using 4lo you dont need to go fast, and its weaker so not great for offroad use imo... and anyways, in lo, who needs to go that quick? unless youre stuck in lo

Not trying to go fast just going between trails when we are out just annoying to switch between high and low when all the jeeps in the group are doing 25-30 in low never been an issue in any of the jeeps ive owned

I suppose it could be bypassed but chances are as soon as its activated it would blow the overdrive drum or overdrive would be like normal overdrive either way I couldn't imagine the sound shifting from third to od in low gear.. Maybe not that bad since the transfer case controls low and the transmission is normal geared. I'll check but my explorer only goes about 20 in low.

It would shift into OD just fine. It certainly wouldn’t grenade when it did. It’d just take more wear, and probably generate more heat reducing fluid life.

Im with mbrooks i really doubt overdrive is that fragile that on flat ground in the dirt it would grenade as soon as it shifted. If i was trying to crawl rocks or get any wheel hop i could see it being a problem but thats not the gear i would be in for that situation also im all for throwing a bigger trans cooler at this thing to help save the trans

Back