• Register Today It's free!

No power at compressor

Vermonter

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT & 99 MM
My AC wasn't working so I had the system charged and leaked tested. After that it still isn't working so I looked around and found that the compressor isn't engaging. I tried some steps listed on another post and have found that there is no power at the connection to the compressor. The fuse is good, so where do I look now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this after you jumpered the low pressure switch?
Is the system charged?
The low pressure switch will not send power to the compressor unless the system if full of refrigerant or you jumper the switch

Also you have a AC WOT relay but I doubt that is your problem
Which fuse are you checking?

410Fortune said:
is this after you jumpered the low pressure switch?
Is the system charged?
The low pressure switch will not send power to the compressor unless the system if full of refrigerant or you jumper the switch

Also you have a AC WOT relay but I doubt that is your problem
Which fuse are you checking?

I haven't tried the low pressure switch test yet. I had the system checked and charged on Friday, so I have to go back and discuss this with the mechanic. I want to make sure he leaked tested before he charged.

The fuse I checked was the 15 amp one in the fuse box on the side of the dash. Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

BrooklynBay said:
There is an inline diode going to the compressor's clutch. Check for power behind this diode to rule out the possibility of a blown diode.

Where is the diode located on a 96 w/ 5.0?

Check the wiring harness going to the clutch. If it's there, you will see it on one of the 2 wires. It's inside of a rectangle plastic part on the wiring near the connector. I've seen them on the 3.0L engines, but your wiring should be the same. Check AutoZone's website for a wiring diagram just to be sure.

where is the air conditioning low pressure switch located on a 2002 ford explorer xls?

What if I run 12 V to the clutch?

My wire harness is burned so lots of bare wire shows, and I don't have 12 volts at the low pressure switch. The fuse is OK. Actually I'm not sure where the low pressure switch is located. There are two wires comming from the Clutch that go to a switch of some kind located near the compressor. Then there is another switch located near the passenger-side fire wall, (I believe this is the low-pressure switch). If I put 12V on the clutch the clutch engages. How about if I just wire to the clutch directly using a lighted switch from Radio Shack or someplace and a 10 amp fuse. Shouldn't that work?

I have a 1995 ford explorer and there is no power doing to my compressor either the fuse and relay is ok awhile back i had to move a wire then it worked but now want do anything what should I do

I've got a 97 AWD limited edition with a 5.0L V-8... I'm not getting any power
to the A/C compressor. Checked all the fuses and relays. Bypassed the low pressure cutoff... Still no go so I ran a couple of wires off the battery and the
clutch kicked in and the a/c worked good.

The double wire (one black and one black with yellow stripe )coming out of the large wiring harness becomes one black lead and two black/yellow leads going to
the plug that goes into the compressor. An ohm meter shows that both wires are
okay (no breaks).

Is it really necessary to have a diode in line when I hook the battery up direct?

If no diode is required then I'll just install a switch.

Any ideas on how to make it work correctly would be helpful.

Thanks, Bob

BrooklynBay..... Thanks for the reply. I suspected that it was for something
like that but I wasn't sure.

It's starting to look like the problem is in the electronic control system in
the car below the radio. I guess I'll check the local junk yards and see
if I can find one.

Bob

Back