No power at vehicle harness trailer brake connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power at vehicle harness trailer brake connector

hipohemi

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer - Limited
I have a 2020 Explorer Limited with trailer tow package, and am trying to install a Tekonsha trailer brake controller (TBC). I found the under dash vehicle TBC connector and have the Tekonsha pigtail harness to connect from here to TBC. However, I am not getting 12V power at the vehicle TBC connector. I have checked all fuses and have called Ford dealership (waiting for a return call). I have reviewed the forum and other pages.

Does anyone have the schematic for these circuits, or have similar experience to provide guidance? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Have you checked fuse 42 under the hood and fuse 30 in the passenger compartment? Under the hood is for the trailer brake control module and the one in the passenger compartment is for the trailer brake connector.
The white wire on your plug should be ground, black is hot, red is hot when vehicle brake is applied and blue is brake out to your trailer.

Have you checked fuse 42 under the hood and fuse 30 in the passenger compartment? Under the hood is for the trailer brake control module and the one in the passenger compartment is for the trailer brake connector.
The white wire on your plug should be ground, black is hot, red is hot when vehicle brake is applied and blue is brake out to your trailer.
Thank you so much for the assistance, I had checked fuse 42 previously, but decided to check it again and found a blown fuse. I used another 30A to confirm and the controller has power now. Thanks again.

I have a 2020 Explorer Limited with trailer tow package, and am trying to install a Tekonsha trailer brake controller (TBC). I found the under dash vehicle TBC connector and have the Tekonsha pigtail harness to connect from here to TBC. However, I am not getting 12V power at the vehicle TBC connector. I have checked all fuses and have called Ford dealership (waiting for a return call). I have reviewed the forum and other pages.

Does anyone have the schematic for these circuits, or have similar experience to provide guidance? Thank you.
Where exactly was the under dash connector?

Where exactly was the under dash connector?
Here is a picture from an older post. It's under the dash near the steering column. The picture is from member

mehardy​

1644193269036.png

I recently purchased a decommissioned 2020 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) with a 3.3 Hybrid Engine. We intend to pull an A-Frame Camping Trailer.

It has a Factory Class 3 Receiver. Trailer Lights don't work as there is no power to the vehicles 4/7 Pin Trailer Socket.

I looked behind the Bumper and found nothing attached to the 4/7 Pin Connector Harness. Behind the left rear wheel is another connector with what looks to be Blue Brake Controller and Red Charging and other wires.

In the main Fuse panel under the Hood; Fuses 42 Trailer brake control module., 55 Trailer tow park lamps, 57 Trailer tow battery charge & 58 Trailer tow backup lamps are present.

Is getting the 7-pin Trailer Connector working as simple as plugging in a 2–3-foot jumper harness between the behind the left rear wheel connector and the 4/7 Pin Bumper Connector? What is the Ford part number for such a harness?

I would then add either the currently owned inline (between vehicle and Trailer Plugs) Curt Echo Brake Controller or purchase and install an under-dash Curt Echo Controller (so I don't bash my knees).

If the simple jumper harness is not an option; do I need to use a kit which plugs into the taillights?

Tips will be appreciated.

Back