no power & miss

buck_canuck

Reaction score
City, State
ottawa
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 ranger
Greetings all,
I have a 2003 ranger, 2.3 std trans with 63,000m on it. It has always been gutless, but now it is really bad. Under load (trailering or A/C on) it has a miss in it and no power. Not a constant miss like a bad plug or wire, sort of like a fairly constant chug. I've changed the plugs and wires, gas and air filters. It's almost like the old coils when they would start to go bad. The coil is what I am leaning toward. I have not checked fuel pressure, but it has no problem pulling strong when shifted down and not under heavy load conditions. Once in awhile it will just cut out completely for a second or two while driving, although this happens quite infrequently. Is there a way of testing a coil pack? Does anyone have any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Buck,
Have you read the codes? If so, what were they? When you changed the plugs, what did they look like? Have you changed the fuel filter?

Oops, missed the fuel filter...

No codes. Plugs all looked good. That's why I'm sorta baffled. Just wondered if anyone else had ever run into similar symptoms.

No codes. Plugs all looked good. That's why I'm sorta baffled. Just wondered if anyone else had ever run into similar symptoms.

Sure sounds like a fuel issue to me. I would change the fuel filter first. And, (since I own one), I would hook up a fuel pressure guage and see what's happening.

If your coils were bad, your plugs (and tailpipe) would show the misfiring. But then I'm not a mechanic in real life nor do I play one on TV.

pressure

thanks dla,
I already changed the filter. Wasn't plugged at all. I am planning to check pressure when I find a fuel pressure guage but haven't yet. The plugs and tail pipe are a good suggestion, but it runs fine 99% of the time, keeping things clean. It's only under load. I will post again when I get a chance to check pressure. Thanks

Buck,
Another possibility might be your catalytic convertor. If at any time it's been exposed to an excessively rich fuel condition (enough to glow orange even slightly), it could have melted enough to not flow well, which would show up when under heavy load, but might not show up under moderate / light loads.

Back