• Register Today It's free!

No power steering at low rpms?

spacecadebt

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger 2.5
Today i drove my exploder and i have no power steering unless i rev over 3k. Checked the fluid and its right where its supposed to be (though it was really black and nasty). I figured the pump is bad but it hasnt made any noise or done anything wierd until today. Anyone have any thoughts to what this could be? I dont want to replace the pump if just something simple.

Also, its surprisingly not that hard to drive without PS. Am i goint to damage anything if i drive it like this until i get it fixed.

Some advice - dont try to parallel without power steering... You will look like an idiot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the Veins in the pump with bad. It doesn't always have to make that groaning sound to be bad. You could get out and make sure that the belt isn't slipping on the pulley. Also check to make sure there is not air in the system.

You could get out and make sure that the belt isn't slipping on the pulley.

A loose drivebelt would be the first thing I'd check after fluid if it isn't making any noises.

belt is fine, it was one of the first things i checked.

Well if its a consistent problem then that would help rule out air pockets. I think they would cause intermittent problems. So if you drive it awhile and it's consistently bad you're looking at replacing the pump. On a V8 that shouldn't be hard because it sits right there on top.

Back