• Register Today It's free!

No power to small wire at starter

jakprince

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
Got a 2001 explorer sport that wont turn over.There is no power on the small wire that hooks to the starter.Anybody have a wiring diagram or have any idea what to check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Auto or manual ? check fuse # 24 in your fuse box Looking at my 99 manual I show a relay in your under hood fuse box for the starter, can't tell the # Check your owners manual if you have one. After that it's either the clutch switch or auto trans selector switch or ignition switch. hope that helps

I have a schematic for a 96 which should be similar. Schematic varies for A/T, M/T and center console, no center console and rap module/no rap module.
Power to starter passes thru ignition switch, fuse 24, anti theft relay, neutral safety switch (A/T), starter relay and then to starter.

Its an automatic with center console.I don't know what a rap module is.

My manual does not show the Rabs being involved with the cranking system on my year. Anyway I'd check the simple stuff first. Fuses & relay & go from there

Ok so where is the neutral switch?

Did you try starting engine in neutral? Try moving shifter between N and P a few times and see if car starts. If so, neutral switch is bad or needs to be adjusted.

Switch is on left side of transmission. It should have 2 wires going to it. In '96 they were pink and red/light blue stripe. Pink wire should have power when key is in start position. Red/light blue should have power when key is in start and transmission is in neutral or park. If you have no power to the pink wire when key is in start, trouble is between ignition and neutral switch.

Well trouble is sometimes it starts sometimes it wont.The weird part is if you cross the wires at the starter and get it running then it will start with the key till the next time it decides it doesnt want to start.

Here's a schematic. You can follow the flow of power from the ignition switch to the small wire on the starter. The neutral switch on a 2001 is called Digital transmission range sensor. I'm not sure where it's located.

starter.gif

Ok so today it didnt start in park so we put it in neutral and it started up so now how do you replace the park neutral switch?

Back