No power to windows,cabin lights,moon roof or 4x4 switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power to windows,cabin lights,moon roof or 4x4 switch

srtorres22

Reaction score
City, State
Rogers, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Good afternoon,

Earlier today I tried putting a piece of copper on the passenger side dome light since the original copper piece was in pieces hoping of getting the driver side light to work. Well, it didn't work now I'm stuck with out power to all four windows, the 4x4 switch won't engage. However the hi and low do flash synchronize randomly. Also, the moon roof no longer has power as well. I checked all the relays and fuses and all seems to be in working order. I can't seem to pin point the source of the failure. If all fuses and relays check out then I have no idea on what other issues could be. Everything worked fine up until I decided to attach the copper piece to the dome light. Any help will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to add, the hi and low randomly flash without being engaged.

It's a long shot, but try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins. I can't imagine what you could have done that wouldn't have blow a fuse.

No luck that way. Honestly, I'm not sure what went bad.

Fuse #4(30a maxi fuse) in the battery distribution box in the engine compartment. That should do it.

Yes, I checked that specific fuse with a tester while the vehicle was running. It's to be good. Probably should go buy one just to be safe. Is that the only fuse for power windows? I couldn't find anything else.

Forgot to mention it doesn't look blown.

Fuse #26 inside fuse panel.

Eureka! #26 is blown! Now, the eternal wait to go buy the fuse tomorrow morning. Hope this is it.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Good afternoon,

Earlier today I tried putting a piece of copper on the passenger side dome light since the original copper piece was in pieces hoping of getting the driver side light to work. Well, it didn't work now I'm stuck with out power to all four windows, the 4x4 switch won't engage. However the hi and low do flash synchronize randomly. Also, the moon roof no longer has power as well. I checked all the relays and fuses and all seems to be in working order. I can't seem to pin point the source of the failure. If all fuses and relays check out then I have no idea on what other issues could be. Everything worked fine up until I decided to attach the copper piece to the dome light. Any help will be appreciated.

shame on me for believing you when you said you checked ALL the fuses.

Isn't "all" somewhat ambivalent. Maybe he meant "some"?

Yes, shame on me for not explaining properly. :/

BTW, it was fuse #26. Next time I will be more precise when examining things.

We were just having a little fun with you. Don't sweat it.

Yes, we were just having some fun with you. I don't pull fuses to check them (too tedious and you can miss something). I either use my multimeter to test continuity across the fuse, or a little fuse tester that lights up if the fuse is good (basically a continuity tester with a built in light). No beep/no light = no good.

I know guys. No biggie. ; )
Thanks for all the input. It's good to have a reliable place for information.

Back