***Solved*** No power windows / dome lights / wipers / rear defrost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

***Solved*** No power windows / dome lights / wipers / rear defrost

usapadyra

Reaction score
City, State
Ukiah, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC 2WD
Hey guys,
Had a look through stickies and couldn't see this, hopefully I didn't miss it if it is covered already.
Started getting some issues with power / electrics it seems.
Videos give the best illustration so here they are:

Car runs fine. But power windows and dome lights are not working. Door ajar / bonger is only going for a sec as well before stopping. Jiggling the key around seems to trigger it and then it cuts off.

Have tried resetting by disconnecting the battery - no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Broken wires in the drivers door elbow.

Take your time and
Tug on each wire

First check the fuse, there is one near the door hinges and that protects power windows, domes, and 4x4 clutch. Also there are a plethora of hidden relay boxes in an Explorer, above the throttle pedal those in there will also do what you describe.
For checking wiring I highly recommend a Ford manual. The troubleshooting is methodical and effective without the stress of trying to conjur up black magic or guess work, trial and error, etc.

First check the fuse, there is one near the door hinges and that protects power windows, domes, and 4x4 clutch. Also there are a plethora of hidden relay boxes in an Explorer, above the throttle pedal those in there will also do what you describe.
For checking wiring I highly recommend a Ford manual. The troubleshooting is methodical and effective without the stress of trying to conjur up black magic or guess work, trial and error, etc.

I don't think it's a fuse, because one time since everything went wrong (10 minutes after I first noticed it) I was able to get the windows to work as normal.

I was thinking maybe something like a relay.

To be clear, it's not a case of the dome lights not coming on with the door opening - both the front and rear domes don't work at all.

The windows also won't work at all. The switches on the individual doors do nothing. It's not just the driver door controls.

The thing I'm most confused about is the way the key alert bonger responds to jiggling / pushing the key around in the ignition.

All the window controls go through the drivers switch. Otherwise you couldn’t lock them out. Your dome light might be the dimmer switch.

There’s a switch in the ignition that senses the key. It’s probably just out of adjustment, or its metal tab finally gave up the ghost.

You should check out the relay situation...I'm dealing with one RIGHT NOW exactly same symptoms.
I don't have my book in front of me, but I for some reason am thinking power saver relay...near the throttle pedal.

Screenshot_20220103-141833.png
Screenshot_20210722-074400.png

You should check out the relay situation...I'm dealing with one RIGHT NOW exactly same symptoms.
I don't have my book in front of me, but I for some reason am thinking power saver relay...near the throttle pedal.

Do you have the same issue with the door ajar inconsistency / key jiggling in the ignition causing it to start the bonger again, only for it to cut off before finishing?

I've gone ahead and ordered a couple of relays. Both from Standard Motor Products.

- RY116 for accessory delay / power windows
- RY612 for battery saver

No idea if they will help but they are only $10 each so would rather try those first before fussing around in the door hinge...

Will update here whatever I find.

Check the under hood lamp. It normally doesn't turn off with the domes.
I didn't get much time to work on this yesterday...did disconnect the battery and everything came back on for half a second when I reconnected it.

Neither of my 1998s had hood lights. My 1996 didn’t either.

Check the under hood lamp. It normally doesn't turn off with the domes.
I didn't get much time to work on this yesterday...did disconnect the battery and everything came back on for half a second when I reconnected it.
Hmmm under hood lamp? Not sure I have one, or at least, if I do it doesn't work!

Yes, I apologize that does not apply to your model.
Anyway, I haven't worked on this one here yet, but what I know is the power saver works, but won't turn back on normally. So far all I've done is jiggle relays, which has reset the power.
Hmmm under hood lamp? Not sure I have one, or at least, if I do it doesn't work!

Investing development. I just went to get something out of the back of the car. Instinctively went for the rear domes and they turned on...

Put the the key in, turned to accessory power and all windows were working as well. Everything seemingly back to normal.

Opened and closed the driver door about 10 times with all dome lights on and no issues.

I'm in Northern California and so the car has been sat outside getting rained on for about 2 weeks non stop. Only the last 2 or 3 days have been properly dry.

Only a couple of months ago I had to replace my indicator relay which was sticking on in humid weather. Hopefully this is something along the same lines.

Lol the door boot is calling you
You can't deny das boot. Lol
"the night is calling, i have to go, the wolf is hungry, he runs the show"

wait wrong calling ;)

I started having power window problems and door locks then the remote locks so i followed some wiring (finally) and found a splice under the rear door sill driver side where one wire is spliced to three, it looked fine but when i pulled on it it was corroded, soldered them together and voila everything worked again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updating on this - turns out this issue probably had nothing to do with any wires or relays...

Yesterday I set off for a 3 hour drive and about 30 minutes in I noticed the red battery warning light on the dash, and the battery meter only just above the lower white line. Figured it was the battery and planned to keep on going and head to Autozone at my destination, but 20 miles from Ukiah the tachometer goes crazy and then drops all the way to 0 and sticks there, the stereo distorts then cuts out, and the ABS warning light comes on. Car still running fine until I get into town and have to slow / stop in traffic. When getting going again the car was very reluctant to move and something started beeping - swung it off the road into a parking lot and turned it off. Realised at this point that it was probably the alternator.

Walked the half mile (thank god) to Autozone to grab a new battery and walked it back to install it.

Car started ok but still had the warning light and low battery. They tested the alt which confirmed bad. Bought a new one and paid some dude (friend of one of the staff members) to install it.

Been all good since then. The intermittent windows and dome lights were most likely just the hammered battery that had not been getting charged properly for some time.

I still have the relays coming. I'll hold onto them in case the same issue comes up and I can see if they fix it. But I suspect it wont happen again now.

Back