• Register Today It's free!

No Power

ezeedee

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
i used to be able to burn out in my stock 4.0 4WD Automatic 3.73 lsd explorer, but now i cant. it feels super sluggish driving around town, has horrible throttle response (i have to floor the gas about a second before i want to pull into traffic, and i feel like im gonna get rear ended).

i drive my moms rav4 sometimes (4 cyl 5 speed) and it is WAY easier to drive around, plenty of passing power even in 4th gear, easier to merge, etc...

how are your guys explorers?

i think im gonna get a bigger maf housing and a cone filter to try to help.

freshly tuned up, 200k miles, and a 15k old reman tranny, new battery cables, so everything has good grounds.

and it also bucks in 2nd gear (it is an automatic) and 3rd gear when im floored about like, 3500 rpm., the fuel filter was just replaced with the tune-up less than 1k miles ago, did seafoam through the brake booster, lucas fuel injector cleaner, etc... ive done everything i can to try to cure it but nothing seems to help.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for codes, clean the MAF, fuel pressure?

C.

...i'm just taking a shot in the dark here, i would say pull your plugs and look at them...especially after doing all the seafoam and such....also, check the gap on each one to see if they were properly gapped in the first place....;) ...should be .54 i think and if they are platinum, you can't regap...bad for the plug...glad to see your mom is in a better mood these days...:D

...i'm just taking a shot in the dark here, i would say pull your plugs and look at them...especially after doing all the seafoam and such....also, check the gap on each one to see if they were properly gapped in the first place....;) ...should be .54 i think and if they are platinum, you can't regap...bad for the plug...glad to see your mom is in a better mood these days...:D

i seafoamed it on the old plugs, then changed the plugs the next day.

plugs are autolite double platinums (app765) didnt have the motorcrafts in stock :(

..thats ok, i run the ap's myself on my X...i would still pull the plugs and check them, and check the gap...also, sometimes during a tuneup all it takes is a bump on the right thing to start having problems...
...as far as your codes, do check them...your bulb might have blown or for some reason you are getting a code and it's just not liting up...are you still at a.z.???

..thats ok, i run the ap's myself on my X...i would still pull the plugs and check them, and check the gap...also, sometimes during a tuneup all it takes is a bump on the right thing to start having problems...
...as far as your codes, do check them...your bulb might have blown or for some reason you are getting a code and it's just not liting up...are you still at a.z.???

my bulb works, i just went and unplugged my maf and it popped on, plugged it back in and it went away.

how do i check the codes? a friend showed me once with a test light but i forgot.

ill pull the plugs tonight or tomorrow, gotta leave for work in a few minutes, yup, still an autozoner.

...a.z. still cool, read your codes just in case...you can read your codes at work for free...the reasoning behind the plugs is your plugs can usually tell if you have other problems too, electrical, fuel, etc....
...i believe the trans cooler was an option on 1st gen's...not 100% sure...:scratch:

...a.z. still cool, read your codes just in case...you can read your codes at work for free...the reasoning behind the plugs is your plugs can usually tell if you have other problems too, electrical, fuel, etc....
...i believe the trans cooler was an option on 1st gen's...not 100% sure...:scratch:

we can only read obd2 codes. (96 and up)

ill pull my plugs monday, i got the day off. might rebuild my t-case shift motor since i got monday and tuesday off, that way if i #### up, i wont be screwed for work. haha.

im gonna get a bigger maf housing monday too, it can be from any ford right? so if i find a v8 one from a similiar year f150 or whatever itll work?

...that i couldn't tell you...i would call around to find one from your truck, they will know what fits and matches...
...keep me informed....to bad your truck wasn't by my shop...

i think black goblin told me his was from a 4.6 crown vic (or some luxo-yacht), ill just take mine off when i get to the junkyard and match em up.

...there you go...:D

...you know , if you brought your truck up here we could re-run main divide on your way home...

haha, i have to wait for another "honda meet" :p: and that run tore up my tires, i have little chunks missing out of half my tread blocks. haha.

Hey dude, sorry for the slow reply, I kind of took it for granted you checked the gap on the new plugs and your new wires were good. Should have asked for more info, did your problem start before you did the tune up of after, did it occurr all at once or slowly get worse? Check your gaps and the condition/color of your new plugs.

How many miles are on the motor???? if it's 200k like the rest of the truck then i would say the motor is getting tired and nothing but rebuilding it is going to get back the lost power. Also might want to try a compression test and see what the cylinders are like.

cleaned the maf (took it all apart, took the screen off, cleaned the actual sensors with a q-tip and old wife beater, sprayed the passageways with throttle body cleaner, cleaned the throttle body, and left the screen off) i sprayed the sensor with tb cleaner though (dont have any electrical) and drove it around the block, did pretty ok, stubmled a couple times. i was in a hurry to get back home because now its .3 miles away from 200k, and i didnt have my phone (i wanna take a pic)

ill report back later if it really helped or not.

Back