• Register Today It's free!

no pump water pump????

Splorer Man

Reaction score
City, State
Newbury NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT/91 2wd Navajo
i've been fighting the over heating problem with this 94 explorer 4.0 that this guy said,Come get it out of my yardso i did.He said the head gasket was bad and hes not gonne fix it.So i put some water in,bleed the air out and sure enough it over heats.(it runs sweet)Took the stat out,still over heats.Theres no water in the oil,no steam out the tail pipe WTF.SO with it full of water,no stat,and a heater hose off,i started it and reved it up and NO WATER came out the heater hose WTF.I have NEVER HEARD of a water pump not pumping

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ones I've seen have a stamped metal impeller that is pressed on. Suppose you could get a crack in the metal that allows the impeller to slip. I'd have to see it to believe it.

well i know my water pump got destroyed. that was because i left it out in the freezing cold with no antifreeze :rolleyes: but its a simple enough replacement. you might as well just pop off the water pump and see if the impeller and pulley spin as one connection (mine did not) if you can spin the pully side, and the impeller side does not move, you know know you now know you have a bad pump.

well come to find out the impeller is spinning on the shaft:mad: thats a new one for me

well if the shaft IS connected to the impeller then it IS pumping (make sure the belt is routed correctly according to the diagram under the hood) but its weird that no water comes out. maybe the radiator is plugged up?also, check the hose - something could ber stuck in it - with used cars, ya never know

well before i put water in it i started it and there was a dry bearing sound comming from the fromt of the engine(only let it run a minute).The sound was intermitant.When i added water the noise stopped.The heater hose comes directly of the pump so water should of come blasting out of there.If i get the pump off today i'll post a pic

are you refering to the upper or lower hose? the upperhose connects directly to the radiator to the tstat housing. you could be low on antifreeze and maybe your tstat is stuck closed but you said you took that out. hmm.... can you take a pic of the water pump's impeller side? or do you have access to a boroscope to see the pump in action? I am willing to be that the water pump is not pumping anything. also, try disconnecting the heater hose. pour a little bit of water into it and watch the outlet on the pump. if it comes shooting out, then u have a blockage somewhere else in the engine. if it drips, then the pump is NOT working.

see the spout where the heater hose go on? the water should come blasting out of that.Mine doesnt
58390.jpg

isnt the pumping direction the other way around? doesnt it come out the lower hose?

it takes the water from the lower Rad hose,pumps it through the engine and out the top hose.If the water flowed the other way your stat would be reversed

well maybe you should disconenct the heater hose, and stick the lower rad hose in a bucket of water. then stat the car. if u dont get water out the heater hose, then you know for sure that your pump is bad. if it pumps properly, there maybe a blockage in the waterjacket of your engine thus not allowing the pump to work. if this is the case, you will probably need to obtain a boroscope to see inside the engine. i know this is possible because when i tried to replace the freeze plugs in my engine after i froze the cooling system, i pushed one too far in, and i figured i would just leave it in there. well, i replaced the plug and came to find that the system was blocked, so i had to fish it out.

Back