No Reverse gear

Stevelex

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT UK version
Hi Guys

I would like a bit of advice please. I have a 1998 Explorer XLT 4.0L AUTO 6Cyld SOHC RHD export in the UK.

Yesterday the wife tried to reverse out of our drive. She selected reverse, the truck moved about 2 feet then stopped. She thought she heard a noise like a small scrap (like when you run over a stone). She then engaged drive, went forward a bit, selected reverse again but nothing, no movement, no noise and it doesn't sound like it engages at all (there is no change in engine revs as there is when you select drive).

All the forward gears drive ok, the reverse lights come on when you select reverse. the oil level seems ok. I havn't driven more than a few yards forward in case there is an internal problem and I might damage something. There is no OD or CEL lights on. No reverse in 4WD High or Low either.

Has anyone come across this problem before. Do you think it is safe to drive to the dealer or should I get it trailered there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it is safe to drive to the shop. Do you have Manual 1? Do you get ALL forward gears? Meaning 1st, 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th in OD position?

Thx for answering

I get manual 1 and 2 and Drive but havn't taken it more than a few yards yet so I don't know if it will change up through the gears to 3 and 4 and 5.

Manual one tells you that the reverse band and low/reverse servo that activates that band are working. If you have 3rd gear in a 4R or 4th gear in a 5R you know the direct drum (formerly called the reverse drum) is also ok.

No reverse and no engine braking in first is a bad low/reverse servo?

Back