• Register Today It's free!

no reverse lights

Stew1138

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
So new problem with the black hole explorer. i have no reverse lights and i cannot for the life of me figure out why. Ive checked the fuse for the lights and the lights themselves and nada. it has to be one of the switches. my buddy told me its the neutral safety switch, but Im leaning more towards the transmission range sensor. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and point me in the right direction before this starts to snowball in to an increasing pile of parts that aren't to blame. any and all help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

isn't the back up lights switch on the linkage by the transmission?

isn't the back up lights switch on the linkage by the transmission?
Si. That would be the transmission range switch. I cant seem to get a clear answer on this subject. I've read in some places that the neutral safety switch and the transmission range switch are the same thing but they aren't. I just dont want to start piling up switches an sensors that dont fix the problem.

I have the same problem. Are the reverse lights on their own fuse?

I don't think you will need a new switch as much as adjusting the one that is there.

I know in my other fords the reverse switch was located at the base of the steering column on the mechanical linkage. but this one is a shift cable.

so I'm thinking it is down some where near or on the transmission

first you need to confirm what transmission type you are, manual or automatic. Then you need to confirm that you AREN'T getting voltage at the lamps when you have it reverse. Of course, it would then be wise to see if you are getting voltage going (P/O wire) to the transmission range switch (auto) AND coming out (BK/PK wire) of said switch.

On a side note, there is no "neutral switch", only a transmission range switch IF you have a auto tranny.

I don't think you will need a new switch as much as adjusting the one that is there.

I know in my other fords the reverse switch was located at the base of the steering column on the mechanical linkage. but this one is a shift cable.

so I'm thinking it is down some where near or on the transmission
Thought of that. I spun the switch around in all directions and tried every gear down to drive 1 and nada.

first you need to confirm what transmission type you are, manual or automatic. Then you need to confirm that you AREN'T getting voltage at the lamps when you have it reverse. Of course, it would then be wise to see if you are getting voltage going (P/O wire) to the transmission range switch (auto) AND coming out (BK/PK wire) of said switch.

On a side note, there is no "neutral switch", only a transmission range switch IF you have a auto tranny.

i have the automatic 4R55E. As far as the volts are concerned, I havent got under there to check, but i will. According to AllData the two parts are the same thing. The transmission range senor tells the ECU its okay to start because the car is not in gear (another problem i have occasionally). However according to AutoZone the part is labeled as a neutral safety switch. I'll crawl under the truck sunday with a voltmeter and see what going on.

For automatic transmission, there is just one sensor for neutral, reverse, sender of position to PCM... It is called Transmission Range Sensor or Neutral Safety Switch.
Alignment, with the transmission on "N" should look something like this:

60887d1301344558-radio-muted-r-trs.jpg

Back