• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse! Please Help!

big351bronc

Reaction score
City, State
St. Simons Island, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
After 215,000 miles, I finally have some Transmission problems. Can anyone help? When I put the truck into Reverse, there is no movement and a very lound, fast grinding noise. Any idea? It will still drive forward, however, there is a grinding noise when I let off the gas (coasting). Does anyone have any advise? Has this happened to anyone? Any help would be great! The Ford dealer said it would be a little over $3000 for a rebuilt transmission with a warranty. I do not want to spend this much, so if that is the case I will be parting it out or donating it to Goodwill. Thanks again in advance for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it sounds like your transmission is shot. Might check for metal in the fluid, if the fluid is thick or milky I would use a magnet and confirm its metal, if it is not a whole heck of a lot you can do. That sound you hear when you let off the gas is most likely cuz your only getting a couple gears. Listen when you accelerate and count how many gears you hit.

It happened to me although no grinding noise, just a snapping sound and I lost reverse. Spent $600.00 for a junkyard transmission and the truck was good to go. That was at 132,000 miles. I am now at 145,000, and going strong.

I forgot to mention that I still could drive the truck just fine for about a week and a half until I finally found a good replacement junkyard tranny.

I agree LouGoat, you can drive on a faulty transmission. As long as there isn't actual mechanical failure within it such as lots of metal in fluid it typically turns out to be a clogg within the transmission and a quality transmission mechanic could probably set you straight for a couple hundred dollars.

There are a lot of explorers at junk yards, so I would recommend picking up a low mileage tranny for a couple hundred at one. Also remember you can haggle prices at a junkyard. I've walked out paying $20 for a windshield they wanted $100 for.

Also remember you can haggle prices at a junkyard. I've walked out paying $20 for a windshield they wanted $100 for.
I wish I had junkyards like that near me. The part could cost $50 at a dealer, and when they see you walk in, they say $75. If you say that it's too much, they don't care. They won't sell it for less than what they want. Sometimes they will tell you to try another junkyard or go to the dealer if you start to haggle with them. They don't like to sell retail. Most of their business is with body shops. I'm sure that if they tell you it's $75, the body shop will get it for $20.

In case I was way too subtle in the earlier post:

Make sure it actually is the transmission before you go to the trouble of getting another one or getting rid of the truck. Your symptoms are classic for a common failure mode for the transfer case. The reason that it makes awful noises in R or when coasting is because the gears in the transfer case go out of mesh.

Is that common for an auto as well or just the 5spd?

Is that common for an auto as well or just the 5spd?

As I understand the issue with the transfer case, it shouldn't matter if it is an auto trans or manual trans. The problem with some of the 4405 transfer cases is that the magnesium alloy case becomes distorted where the bearings support the main shaft. This allows the shaft to move out of alignment and eventually damages the gear set in the transfer case.

This is all great information - thanks for the help! I am going to give the transfer case a go and see what happens. If that goes bad, I could replace it with something much better! Thanks again and I'll let yall know what the verdict is!

I wish I had junkyards like that near me. The part could cost $50 at a dealer, and when they see you walk in, they say $75. If you say that it's too much, they don't care. They won't sell it for less than what they want. Sometimes they will tell you to try another junkyard or go to the dealer if you start to haggle with them. They don't like to sell retail. Most of their business is with body shops. I'm sure that if they tell you it's $75, the body shop will get it for $20.

So many junkyards in Brooklyn, many are like that but some will work with you.

Back