NO REVERSE... Solenoid, band, servo pin, please help?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NO REVERSE... Solenoid, band, servo pin, please help??

rick_king

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an 06 Explorer. Suddenly have no reverse. No warning signs, leaks, lights, codes, etc.

All other gears work including 4 hi & Low.

When I put it in reverse, the car doesnt move. If I give it gas, the engine hesitates for a brief moment, then the rpms increase (as if I was in Neutral), but doesn't move.

I have been told that the reverse band is gone and now requires a rebuld. But the reverse band is used by 4-low as well...and 4-low works just fine.

There is a reverse servo bore issue that occurs when the servo pins start to wear due to unnecessary (Ford known issue) friction between the housing sleeves and the steel pins. . how could this be determined without removing the servo pin and inspecting it? Usually worn servo pins will WEAR and introduce the failure over time resulting in slippage or hard shifting right?

Reverse Solenoid? Could this be the answer? How can I trouble shoot the solenoid pack (specifically the reverse solenoid)?

I have also heard some chatter about PCM failure. Any help is very much appreciated...

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it possible to remove (or check) the low/reverse servo without ripping the entire tranny apart? The band should be fine as I still have ALL other gears. Low-1 & Reverse use the same band from what I have read. I will try to check the band though.

The servo pin... there is a quick fix circulating for replacing the sleeve and installing a new servo pin...but this fix is not for the reverse servo. It works on all others.

Here's a picture from Glacier991's photo gallery:
15286Dscn4072.jpg

Rick.....first thing I do when people ask me about shifting problems is recommend they add a can of SEA FOAM TRANSMISSION treatment and then run the car,repeatedly trying the shift into reverse and back to drive,maybe 30 times and drive it for at least 50 miles(making sure you never have to back up LOL!),before you go for a mechanical fix.
I have seen this work at least 50% of the time, and so I believe it's worth a try.
Check the capacity of your trans..............you may need 2 cans.
IF this gets your shifting working again,you'll probably need to drain and fill your transmission very soon after,since the varnish and dirt that caused it to stick might cause future problems.
don-ohio :)^)

Thanks Don... anythings worth a shot. Now, this picture is of a tranny removed right? It looks like I should be able to get to the servo with tranny still attached? Remove pan and or solenoid block from lave body??

Thanks Man...

Hold on, the 5R55E was last used in the Explorer in 01, and that is what the other picture is showing.

Your 06 should have the 5R55S which is a little different, the reverse servo is still accessible from the bottom pan but looks much different. I have never seen pin wear or a failure from this set up but it is still worth a look. If you remove the servo you should be able to tell if the band is broken. Just remove all the "G" bolts to check the band. These band are known to break.

5R55sServo_zps4c3eda88.jpg

I have a 06 also but mine shifts hard and delayed into reverse but all forward gears are smooth and quick. Once it warms up it usually gets better and sometimes works flawless. I think our issues could be related.

Thanks for posting the photo of the 5R55S valve body. Why does the cover have a ring?

This servo is a separate housing, the piston mounts in the housing rather than in the case. The round ring is a screen over the servo check valve to keep debris out I guess.

The only issues I have seen here is worn or hardened seal on the piston itself or the small seal in the housing. Which is what might be going on for "boominXplorer"

5R55Srearservo_zps00edd792.jpg

5R55SRearservo2_zpsc30364c5.jpg

These bands brake at the strut cleat for the servo.

5R55Sband_zps2f1a5285.jpg

Rick, I didn't post the pic,but still, before you tear into anything,try the SEA-FOAM......then you can say you gotta tear into it. don-ohio :)^)
Thanks Don... anythings worth a shot. Now, this picture is of a tranny removed right? It looks like I should be able to get to the servo with tranny still attached? Remove pan and or solenoid block from lave body??

Thanks Man...

It looks like Ford went back to using a spring on this servo. Is the housing on the 5R55S used on the 5R55W & 5R55N?

Yes as far as I know they are identical and should interchange.

Having a separate servo bore is a good idea. You could replace it as an assembly if it wears out. I wonder why they didn't do this to the two servo bores on the side of the transmission that are so troublesome.

Tried the Sea Foam, but I dont think I got enough into the tranny. I removed the Fill/Check valve t-30 torx screw inside of the drain plug. the fluid never stopped flowing out. I had the truck in Neutral while filling. I read somewhere that it should be in Park?? Which is true? Almost a quart came out so I added the sea foam and almost a quart of Merc V. Nothing has changed. I probably only got 1/2 can of sea foam into it. I will try again this weekend "When it not raining here in NH" lol

Also... is it possible to replace the band without a complete rebuild>??

Also... is it possible to replace the band without a complete rebuild>??

You dont have to rebuild it but you will have to completely take it apart, the rear band is the first piece installed into the case when reassembling the trans.

Seafoam!!

Rick.....first thing I do when people ask me about shifting problems is recommend they add a can of SEA FOAM TRANSMISSION treatment and then run the car,repeatedly trying the shift into reverse and back to drive,maybe 30 times and drive it for at least 50 miles(making sure you never have to back up LOL!),before you go for a mechanical fix.
I have seen this work at least 50% of the time, and so I believe it's worth a try.
Check the capacity of your trans..............you may need 2 cans.
IF this gets your shifting working again,you'll probably need to drain and fill your transmission very soon after,since the varnish and dirt that caused it to stick might cause future problems.
don-ohio :)^)

Don?? LOL.. I was very skeptical as I have done some major research on this issue. But God damnit... the sea foam WORKED. :) Its not 100%, but I have a reverse. I will get a FLUSH ASAP and see if this helps. Do you recommend using Sea Foam After Flushing?>?

I have an 06 Explorer. Suddenly have no reverse. No warning signs, leaks, lights, codes, etc.

All other gears work including 4 hi & Low.

When I put it in reverse, the car doesnt move. If I give it gas, the engine hesitates for a brief moment, then the rpms increase (as if I was in Neutral), but doesn't move.

I have been told that the reverse band is gone and now requires a rebuld. But the reverse band is used by 4-low as well...and 4-low works just fine.

There is a reverse servo bore issue that occurs when the servo pins start to wear due to unnecessary (Ford known issue) friction between the housing sleeves and the steel pins. . how could this be determined without removing the servo pin and inspecting it? Usually worn servo pins will WEAR and introduce the failure over time resulting in slippage or hard shifting right?

Reverse Solenoid? Could this be the answer? How can I trouble shoot the solenoid pack (specifically the reverse solenoid)?

I have also heard some chatter about PCM failure. Any help is very much appreciated...

Thank you
I have the exact problem you state. I just checked and reverse works in low range. Will be watching for an answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back