• Register Today It's free!

No reverse unless In 4 low

Wrathhaven

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer xlt
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer xlt automatic 4x4. I bought the car and everything worked fine then I checked the tranny fluid and it was a little low so I topped it off. After I topped it off reverse quit pulling. When you put it in reverse you can feel it change and it will work a little unless you back up a hill then it feels like all it is doing is sleeping the only way I can back up a hill is in 4 low. What could be causing this please help.

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer xlt automatic 4x4. I bought the car and everything worked fine then I checked the tranny fluid and it was a little low so I topped it off. After I topped it off reverse quit pulling. When you put it in reverse you can feel it change and it will work a little unless you back up a hill then it feels like all it is doing is sleeping the only way I can back up a hill is in 4 low. What could be causing this please help.
that sounds similar to my problem if i go to reverse from drive it will slip but if i go from park to reverse it pulls good so im thinking your range sensor may be out of adjustment

Back