No reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No reverse

saugustine

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
1999 Ford explorer with approximtely 120K mile, I have no reverse, all other gear seem fine. Any help with this problem, please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have manual 1st on the transmission? There is a part called the low/reverse servo in the transmission which engages the low/reverse band. The seals could leak or the actual servo shaft could chip. This servo is held into place by a cover with 4 bolts. You could test the band if you insert a long phillips screwdriver into the hole where the servo shaft goes (the bore). The transfer case has a part called the shift fork which could cause a failure to go into reverse if it breaks.

I have manual 1st on the transmission, when I turned the switch into 4wheel low it make a screeeee sound like something is binding. I have transmission fluid under the bottom the transmission pan.

That would explain the noise when I put the truck in 4 wheel low but would not have nothing to do with reverse gear missing. Please correct me if I'm off track

That would explain the noise when I put the truck in 4 wheel low but would not have nothing to do with reverse gear missing. Please correct me if I'm off track

Back