No Sound Screen Acoustic Glass? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Sound Screen Acoustic Glass?

All the Aviators, regardless of trim, have acoustic-laminated first row glass according to both the Canadian and US Lincoln websites when you check the Exterior features. As far a the brochures go, the words 'acoustic', 'laminate', or glass don't even come up in a search. I found the word 'windshield' came up 3 times and all had to do with windshield wipers.
I'm not even sure at this point if auto glass replacement businesses would provide the same answers.
It seems this is another thread destined to go on and on. :)

Peter
I just happened to drive by an auto glass shop this morning so I stopped in. They have no way to identify if it is acoustic glass. They did say being it is Ford glass, they are quite sure that it is. They did say if it ever needs to be replaced to request acoustic glass. At this point, who knows. It should be, BUt is it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.....and on we go. Thanks Dale. :thumbsup:

Peter

Or it’s exactly the same with the addition of a logo.
Other than the base-model Aviator, all other Aviator models are equipped with a Head-up Display that projects time, speed, navigation, and other info onto the inside surface of the windshield. This functionality requires a special reflective coating to be applied to the windshield. Thus, Aviator windshield glass is definitely not exactly the same as the Explorer's windshield glass.

Other than the base-model Aviator, all other Aviator models are equipped with a Head-up Display that projects time, speed, navigation, and other info onto the inside surface of the windshield. ......................................
Not really. I have the Reserve II and no HUD. I believe it is part of one of the option packages. My 'build sheet' shows " JASAA less Head Up Display".

Peter

Not really. I have the Reserve II and no HUD. I believe it is part of one of the option packages. My 'build sheet' shows " JASAA less Head Up Display".

Peter
You are correct, Peter. For 2022 models, the Head-Up Display is included with option 201A (Reserve), option 301A (Grand Touring), and all Black Label trim levels.

The one things that is throwing me off the most in this thread, is the one guy, Mike tally, if I recall correctly, did confirm his 2020 Explorer has the word Acoustic on the glass.

Had it not been for his situation, I would have speculated Ford has a reason for this glass. But because he does have acoustic glass that Ford advertises should be on the explorer, is Ford just using whatever is available at the time, even if it does not match advertised specs ?

So essentially if acoustic laminate is not available, then is Ford throwing on regular laminate since its the next best thing?

Wish there was some way to contact Ford directly on this.

The one things that is throwing me off the most in this thread, is the one guy, Mike tally, if I recall correctly, did confirm his 2020 Explorer has the word Acoustic on the glass.

Had it not been for his situation, I would have speculated Ford has a reason for this glass. But because he has the acoustic glass ford advertises should be on the explorer, is Ford just using whatever is available at the time?

Wish there was some way to contact Ford directly on this.
I contacted Ford by chat and a phone call. They were no help whatsoever.

Well I decided to try calling Ford again. After talking with customer service for quite a while I wound up getting a case number. It should be getting run up the food chain so I will see what happens.

Well I decided to try calling Ford again. After talking with customer service for quite a while I wound up getting a case number. It should be getting run up the food chain so I will see what happens.
Nice!

I'm curious to hear their response. I couldn't even get a human on the phone when I called.

Nice!

I'm curious to hear their response. I couldn't even get a human on the phone when I called.
I found it easy enough to get on the phone with a customer service rep. And after I shared the Ford media website where it states the new Ford Explorers should have acoustic glass she did agree. That's when she offered to open up a case number.

Nice!

Well after spending 2 or 3 hours between chat and phone calls with Ford today, the case number didn't help a lot except I didn't have to repeat the issue to much. The last customer service person I spoke with did contact the dealer I purchased my Explorer from. This is not the same dealer I spoke with. They firmly stated that all Explorers do come with acoustic glass. I did compare the windshield on my Explorer and a Chevrolet Impala. The edges are completely different. The Impala does not not have the M shape on the edge like my Explorer. It is rounded just like the rear windows on the Explorer. So based on what research I've done, I feel pretty sure that it is indeed acoustic glass on my Explorer. I could be wrong but all indications are that it is even though is doesn't say it on the glass.

Back