• Register Today It's free!

No Spark 1992 2WD Explorer

SlaminFool

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 2WD
I have a 1992 Explorer 2WD that has been sitting for a few years. It got in a wreck maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Nothing got messed up mechanically just some front end fender and hood damage. Anyway, i'm fixing it up and I checked for spark at the plugs and didn't get any. Then i replaced the ignition coil pack. Still no spark. How should i go about trouble shooting this. Any help is greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Knowing that it had front end damage, the first thing I'd check would be the ICM, which is located next to the radiator by the battery. I'd be sure to check that the EEC relay was closing and power was getting to the ICM. I'd probably pull codes (assuming the PCM is getting power) as some causes will leave clues in the computer. I'd probably check the wiring to the CKP to make sure it wasn't damaged.

How would i go about checking those out? Sorry I'm not really mechanically inclined.

Also there are these two wires that are spliced together, that are just sitting by the battery. They come from under the fuse box. When ever i touch them to the negative terminal on the battery i hear some clicks and a loud whine. Any idea what that is?

To check for power to the PCM, get a wiring diagram and a voltmeter. Check that the EEC relay is closing, and check the three power leads at the PCM for 12 V.

To pull codes, follow the instructions in the stickies here and in the EEC-IV forum.

I have no idea what that loose wire splice would be. If you get a wiring diagram, you should be able to figure out what it is based on the wire colors and where they come from.

Back