• Register Today It's free!

No Spark? KOER code 513

GuidoTSi

Reaction score
City, State
Denton, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
93 XLT auto 4x4. Had a coolant leak around passenger side valve cover @ thermostat. Took top half of engine apart (valve covers, upper and lower intake manifolds) to replace gaskets. Got it all back together, but I now have an extra connector hanging free.

Looks exactly like an injector connector, but all injector connectors are hooked up. Truck will crank but will not start, pulled #5 spark plug to check spark while cranking. Fuel present, but no spark.

During cranking, the KOER tests seem to run, which is where I get the 513 (PCM internal voltage failure) code. I pulled the PCM to check it, no leaking capacitors or anything like that, looks brand new. Which brings me back to the "extra" connector. For the life of me I cannot see where it should connect, but from looking at all the wiring diagrams, including this one, I suspect it's for the PCM relay.

Any assistance would be great, having the truck down this long is a real cramp for work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A picture is worth a thousand words my friend. :p:

Fair Enough. The first shot is from passenger fender, second is frontal. Connector is in same harness as injectors, just can't seem to locate what (if anything) it goes to.

It's where it is now simply because I moved it to get it out of the way of other components. The lead is roughly 6-8 inches long, so whatever it goes to, I'd assume is fairly close-by.

I hate to say it but those are hard to see. From this angle it looks like it is pulled through the upper intake plenum from the drivers side. I went out and looked at my truck and the only thing that I could think of is maybe one of the sensors on the throttle body? The plug that your showing is hard to see but it looks like ECT plug. I didnt have time to pull off the plastic cover to look at the TB. So if it isnt any of those, than I'll get a closer look in a few. Ive gotta go pick up some plugs and wires so I'll be in there myself in a bit.

BTW I see in your user name you've included Tsi are you perhaps a diamond star owner? Not alot of people would think to check thier pcm for leaking capacitors unless they've owned a 1st or 2nd gen Eclipse. (Ive spent alot of time over on DSM tuners)

Sorry for the slow response, been out of town.

I originally thought it was for the TB as well, but the connector is different, and the TB connector is plugged in. I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the upper intake manifold again just so I can get a better look at it. As you can see from the pictures, the plug wires are labeled, and I tried to do that as well for the injector plugs, but I now wonder if I didn't mis-label one.

That leads me to the question of "if the injector plugs are not hooked up to the correct injectors, would that cause a system voltage failure and no fire condition, or would it just cause the truck to run rough"?

Also, to answer your other question, yes I was a long-time DSM owner (90 AWD Talon, 91 FWD Laser, 91 AWD Talon). As picky as the 4g63 platform is, I still miss the hell out of them. :p:

how much of the wiring(for the enigne) did you remove? is the wire long enough to reach the back of the engine? if it reaches the back possibly Cam positioning sensor wire.

I used to own a 90 gst. I miss it too.

how much of the wiring(for the enigne) did you remove? is the wire long enough to reach the back of the engine? if it reaches the back possibly Cam positioning sensor wire.

The only wiring I moved was the sparkplug wires, injector harness and associated top-end engine wiring (temp signal, TB, IAC etc.) I'll be taking the top end off again tomorrow morning to see if I can get a better look at it.

The wire in question is only 6-8 inches long, so whatever it goes to has got to be close by, but I'll be darned if I can see it as it is.

forgot I shot some pics earlier looks like the one in the pic if so it's the cps wire which connects right behind the intake

Yup, you're right, looks just like it. I'll be pulling the upper intake tomorrow morning. I'm sure then it will be facepalm obvious where it goes.

Thanks all for the replys, will let you know how it goes tomorrow AM.

Just to update, it was the Can Position Sensor wire. Once I took the upper intake off again (and all the associated stuff to do so), it was apparent where the wire went. Plugged it in and the truck started right up....been running like a swiss watch ever since.

Thanks very much for the replies and guidance, you guys rock!

Its funny you mention the 4G63. Thats the motor i worked on in forklifts, except it was LP powered. I was wondering which cars this motor was installed in.

Back