No Spark | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Spark

Should I go ahead and change out the crankshaft position sensor, or wait til I can get someone out here to turn the key so I can see the light on the inline plug tester?
I agree with Mbrooks420, either follow a disciplined diagnostic process to understand what has failed and repair as appropriate, or randomly throw new parts at it, hoping to score the right one. As far as your question, I'd like to see you check spark to conclude that line of investigation. I've usually been on my own and resorted to setting (pulled spark plug rather than special tool, or screwdriver in spark lead in place of plug) on a grounding surface within the field of vision from standing alongside the truck, reaching in to turn the starter. Might also consider jumping the starter solenoid so you can be right next to the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crankshaft position sensor is inexpensive and can be changed without even lifting front end. I wiggled under on my back and did it.

The cam position sensor on the 4L OHV is difficult and need mirror and magnetic light to see the scope of repair and once you figure it out you can do it blind and by touch.

My 2000 4L OHV was missing under load and I shotgunned in all ignition parts. Coil packs, plugs, and wires two years ago.

I agree with Mbrooks420, either follow a disciplined diagnostic process to understand what has failed and repair as appropriate, or randomly throw new parts at it, hoping to score the right one. As far as your question, I'd like to see you check spark to conclude that line of investigation. I've usually been on my own and resorted to setting (pulled spark plug rather than special tool, or screwdriver in spark lead in place of plug) on a grounding surface within the field of vision from standing alongside the truck, reaching in to turn the starter. Might also consider jumping the starter solenoid so you can be right next to the eng
Verifying the spark at the plug is my next step.
The coil pack was bad and needed replaced. I'm thinking that might be the reason the plugs were so pointy. Or maybe just age.

Now, I'm thinking that the plug should at least fire, even if off time, with the new coil pack, unless there's a fuse or a relay gone bad.
Or would the crankshaft position sensor or the cam sensor keep it from firing at all?

Crankshaft position sensor is inexpensive and can be changed without even lifting front end. I wiggled under on my back and did it.

The cam position sensor on the 4L OHV is difficult and need mirror and magnetic light to see the scope of repair and once you figure it out you can do it blind and by touch.

My 2000 4L OHV was missing under load and I shotgunned in all ignition parts. Coil packs, plugs, and wires two years ago.
How do you tell whether it's the crankshaft position sensor or the cam sensor that's bad?
I think that would be good to know in advance, assuming I have power to the coil pack.
Otherwise, I'll be chasing down fuses & relays.

Y
The truck died on me driving down the street. It had done that a few times over the last several days, but now it won't start.
The starter whirs & the fan spins when I turn the ignition.
I back-drained the fuel filter, no luck. A shot of starting fluid, and no luck.

What should I be looking at?

The truck died on me driving down the street. It had done that a few times over the last several days, but now it won't start.

Check for spark.

Off topic: Love the handle. I just happen to work in Keokuk. Sorry to interrupt the thread. Couldn’t resist.

Check for spark.
No spark.

Results of tests performed showing rigid logic:
Back-drained fuel filter, indicating plenty of fuel at the rail; smell of fuel when changing plugs indicates fuel in chamber; failure to start with starting fluid indicates non-fuel issue.
Changed plugs. They needed it, because they were very pointy.
Changed coil pack. It tested bad.
The fan spins with the ignition engaged, indicating the motor is not seizes.
Not even a dim glow on the inline plug tester with ignition engaged.
Next step, I'm thinking, is fuses, then relays.

Any other suggestions?

Far as I know a crankshaft position sensor does not initiate the spark, just tells ECM when to initiate. From what I can see in threads you have not definitely determined whether you have spark. If position sensor is not signaling for a spark, no spark. If signaling at wrong time with spark, stalling and/or backfiring. Since you replaced coil pack and still fails to start I suspect your not getting spark because position sensor is not sending signal, or as someone mentioned, check ECM fuse, or ECM may be bad. Without test equipment go cheapest and/or easiest first with consideration as to the most common failures of ignition system for your year/engine model for vehicle symptoms.

Far as I know a crankshaft position sensor does not initiate the spark, just tells ECM when to initiate. From what I can see in threads you have not definitely determined whether you have spark. If position sensor is not signaling for a spark, no spark. If signaling at wrong time with spark, stalling and/or backfiring. Since you replaced coil pack and still fails to start I suspect your not getting spark because position sensor is not sending signal, or as someone mentioned, check ECM fuse, or ECM may be bad. Without test equipment go cheapest and/or easiest first with consideration as to the most common failures of ignition system for your year/engine model for vehicle symptoms.
If you have oil and coolant from the state housing leaking down onto the cps it's probably not getting a correct signal. Clean/spray down the cps with breakcln blow it dry with air hose and it should fire up.

What's your budget for this. Budget= your time and your money. Sometimes your time is more valuable than your money, and sometimes your money is more valuable than your time. That's a personal calculation. No judgments.

If your time is more valuable, get a mobile mechanic to come out and at least diagnose it. Or pay to get it hauled to a mechanic to at least diagnose the problem. If your time is worth less to you than your money, you'll need to get a manual, educate yourself, and systematically follow the steps to diagnose the problem. It all comes down to air, spark, and fire. But on cars, even as old as these, there are many intermediaries to those basic variables.

It might be as simple as a blown fuse (grounded circuit) or stuck relay. It's tough to tell. All the advice you get in this thread will cost you time and money. Paying someone who knows what they're doing a couple of hundred dollars might be the solution you seek.

The fuses all look good. Only one relay in there.

If you have oil and coolant from the state housing leaking down onto the cps it's probably not getting a correct signal. Clean/spray down the cps with breakcln blow it dry with air hose and it should fire up.
I want to try that.
I do have moisture build-up on the belt that makes it squeal when I first start it.

Any codes?

It could be a lot of things. But because of the symptoms described, it's probably not a problem with the engine or transmission, so now you have to eliminate things it could be.

Check crank angle sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the crank angle sensor.

Back