No Start due to swapped jumper cables | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Start due to swapped jumper cables

ewalt98

Reaction score
City, State
Bitterroots of Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 Porsche 944
Hi all,
This is my first post as I just bought a 1998 EB with the 5.0 and AWD, which would not start. The PO had someone try to jump start the truck a few months back, but they hooked the jumper cables to the wrong posts on the battery. He said it ran a bit after that, but eventually wouldn't start. In fact, it wouldn't even turn over. He tried a new battery, but still nothing. So that is where I'm at, and here's what I've done:

Put a fresh battery in, and checked systems. Lights, radio, and all electronics seem to work. PATs flashes normally when key is off, and goes out when key is in.
Try to start, but it does not crank. I don't hear the solenoid clicking either.
So, I went through the no-crank test proceedure here: no crank , and all checks out;
There is power to the starter relay, there is continuity from the battery to the starter, the big 50A fuse and the 7.5A fuse look good (I should check with my voltmeter, though), and the big fusible link is good.
So, I removed the starter and bench tested it, and it works fine.
Then, I hooked up the battery, and checked the voltage on the starter main wire, and then the solenoid ignition wire with the key in the start position (these are the two wires that hook up to the solenoid), and both read 12.5V.
Finally, I put the starter back in, and of course, it doesn't crank still.

So, am I missing something here? If I have 12V to the starter, and get voltage at the trigger wire on the solenoid, I should get at least a click, if not a full crank, right?

I have not gone through and cleaned all the grounding wires on the engine, but did a quick continuity test, and it is grounding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A naive question: could the engine be seized by any chance? If not sure, put a deep socket wrench on the bolt inside the harmonic balance and check (make sure ignition is off to avoid injury). It should turn fairly easily by hand.
Hi all,
This is my first post as I just bought a 1998 EB with the 5.0 and AWD, which would not start. The PO had someone try to jump start the truck a few months back, but they hooked the jumper cables to the wrong posts on the battery. He said it ran a bit after that, but eventually wouldn't start. In fact, it wouldn't even turn over. He tried a new battery, but still nothing. So that is where I'm at, and here's what I've done:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Did you check for any code history the po May have deleted to get the check engine light to turn off? You may have to reset the computer after almost frying the system, ford can be tricky like this they always have backups so the small mistakes don't cost you a lot of money.

Check your ground wire if not replace it. I just saw this exact issue on a Nissan Altima last week. It had melted the ground cable right at where it bolted to the engine.

Some good points!
I thought about the engine being seized while reinstalling the starter, and will check that tonight.
Just got an ODBII scanner, but haven't yet checked the codes. Will try to do that tonight.
I really like the idea of the ground cable being weak or bad at the block. The starter draws a lot of current, and needs a good path back to the battery. Anyone know where it bolts to the block (I traced the pos cable, but not the neg)?

EDIT: just checked, and the engine will turn, yeah!..

Success!
For a quick test, I hooked up spare battery cable from the negative pole on the battery to a stud on the block, then turned the key, and it turned over. A couple more times, and it started right up.
There you go, now I need to replace the negative cable properly, and start testing other things, such as the alternator/voltage regulator for damage.
Boy am I happy!
Thanks boominx and others for the quick help.

BTW, I did check for codes, and there weren't any stored.

Good to hear!

Back