No start issue......help

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Ok Not an explorer or even one of my rides for that matter, but I need some tech help as I am stumped.

The car holding up my garage is a 92 Toyota Corolla.
Engine is the 4a-fe

The issue is that .....it won't start ever, though it will start immediately if jumped.

The battery is new and tests out fine.
The starter and selenoid are new.
The Alternator is new.
The ignition is sorta new.
The distributor, cap rotor and coil are all new.
Spark plugs, wires etc.....were all replaced.

This problem has been ongoing for several months, and my co-worker has had to jump the car every time he has shut it off. I find it odd that everything has been replaced proffesionally recently, yet we have this no start issue. I went through the system today following the trouble shooting guides laid out in the shop service manual, and was unable to find anything operating incorrectly. When the key is turned over you can here the fuel pump kick on, and also get a small click that in a domestic I would believe to be the starter selenoid kicking over. To me this is all pointing at the starter or bad wiring at the starter. I checked all the wiring and did not find any issues or even corrosion.

At this point I am quite frustrated, and am likely overlooking things in my agitation, so I turn to y'all to help me out.

What really baffles me though is why would it start first try and within seconds of being connected to another vehicle (jumped) when his battery is carrying a full charge and the car will not kick over. I even tried pulling the Optima out of my truck and trying it in his car to no avail. While it was doing it's no start thingy I pulled the diagnostic codes and it read code 12 which according to the book indicates that the STA or IIA circuits are not getting continous voltage for more than 2 seconds. Honestly I have no clue what that means. Any help would be much appreciated so I can get my truck in the garage to load for camping, and then the mustang in for a new alternator.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad ground on the block.

When he jumps it, where is the neg jumper cable connected???

Still sounds like a cable to me.

Does your truck start with his battery?

Albino 94LTD said:
Still sounds like a cable to me.

Does your truck start with his battery?

Yeah his battery started the truck.

I jumped his car and moved it out of the garage for now, but I will pull the cables for inspection tomorrow if I have time. Possibly it is corroded under the casing where I cannot see it. :rolleyes:

Good thing he has a second car ehh. It may be sitting there untill I get back form the hills.

I think I got it. There are actually 3 grounds running from the negative cable and starter :confused: They all start as one wire and then branch out 2 to the body and one to the block. The corrosion was primarily at the junction of the ground wires.

Thanks Phil.

:thumbsup: :p

Back