• Register Today It's free!

No start issues?

RockcrawlerEX

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
My '94 2WD ex isn't starting, but everything seems to be fine. My battery reads 12.7v, I got my alternator and battery checked at autozone and they're both fine. I don't think my starter is bad, it just suddenly stopped starting. I turn the key, and all I hear (if anything happens at all) is a rapid clicking noise that I think is coming from the solenoid. I disconnected my battery to clean the terminals cos it's been dying on me (acting like it's out of gas on a full tank, any help on this would be wonderful too), and my wrench hit the truck while it was on the terminal and shorted for a good 5 seconds, so I'm wondering if that could have popped the solenoid? Any help/tips on how to check if my solenoid is good would be helpful. Well, help at all. Thanks.

[edit] the electrical all comes on.
[edit2] solenoid is fine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i doubt the positive cable to the starter motor's resistance went thru the roof so now the starter isnt getting enough amperage so i would say replace the starter/ solenoid and that should cure it.

Just go to a local parts store and grad a solenoid, they are fairly cheap. Change them out and if that is not the problem return it and tell'em you got the wrong thing.

Well then looks like thats what I'm gonna do. Thanks guys

[edit]
I replaced the solenoid, still got the same results.

Back