No start, stuck at work :(

Fish Man

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone. My truck has a new (all within the last year) starter, battery and alternator. Go out after work hit the remote start. It thinks the truck is running but the truck wont crank. Truck wont crank manually with the key either. Any other time I've had this problem you at least get something from the starter like its trying, but not a sound from it. All other accessories work, so there is power, but the starter is not turning. Cranked first try no sweat this morning. Is the starter no good? Is there anything else it could be? HELP!! :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a ride. Truck is stuck here. Will bring my tools tomorrow and see what y'all know!! Thanks!

these things still have starter solenoid's correct, If so possibly that or a bad fuse?? i dont know much about newer cars because i dont own very many.

Oops, ment to post this in stock not modified. Anyway, went back to push my truck into our gated area to avoid loss of my system, wheels/tires, and tools. Checked fuses, relays, and ran a jumper cable tween the starter and frame to verify good ground. Frustrated I put it in neutral and lo and behold it started fine. Think the gear selector just thought it was in drive not park. Now I know to wiggle it or try neutral!! Lesson learned

just read your post

New starters still go bad,just like refrigerators and any other electrical junk.I always check all I can and if all else fails take a screwdriver or any other conductor and short accross from the power side on the solenoid to the small wire that actually activates the solenoid.If you have a remote starter those also are known to fail.Check the lights first,even the battery may have 12 volts but not enough amps to turn it over,it still tells you if the connections on the battery are good.You already checked in a rudimentary way if you have power to the starter post-if you had of tried crossing the small wire that would either work the starter or it had a bad ground(I`ve seen good starters not operate on a car with a good engine ground because for some crazy reason the starter was`nt getting a good ground,so I had to run a ground to the starter itself),also on the these the gear selector connection can get corroded.Wiggle it next time and see, and if it works put die-electric grease on it.That stuff is your best friend,always use it on anything that hooks up and sends power anywhere.Most importantly always put it on plug wires and boots.I now many wrenches who proudly proclaim they never use it and I always say"oh your the guy that put on my plug wires that would`nt come apart and I had to tear them apart"On ANY modern high energy ignition system that grease is a must!Just like antisieze is on all bolts here in the north east,cheap insurance,if you skip it you know you`ll need to take it apart and will break it.Use it and it`ll be fine.:thumbsup:

Back