No start, theft flashing

Joatman24

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport trac
No start, theft flashing...updated, need ford pro

This has happened twice now, and would like some input. Go to start 2001 Sporttrac and it will start and die about 4 times, then just turn over(crank). the theft light continues to flash while the key is on. If i leave the vehicle for 5plus minutes, it will start no problem. I have come to realize that if i put the key on and the theft light goes out, there will be no problem starting, it the light continues to flash, it will crank but not start. I have done some research and have found info indicating that if the anti-theft system is activated that it should not even crank? I check the fuel reset, but it is not triggered, and if it was i guess it wouldnt start after 5 minutes. Hoping to resolve so i don`t get standed one day. I have also tried the spare key, when it wouldn`t start and the same problem. It does not have a remote start system. thanks pat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try another key if you have one for the truck.
this will help you narrow down the problem to the key or the RFID transceiver (the thing that reads the key)

edit: if the light is flashing it can't read the key id, or thinks there is no key - that's why the above test.
if the light flashes fast, it can read the key, but wrong id - this would should result in "I have done some research and have found info indicating that if the anti-theft system is activated that it should not even crank?" statement.

I think if you get a non-id key cut, it will give the same results as you already get but it will never start the truck - even after 5 minutes... Give some excuse about how you need a spare key to get into the truck to the keycutter when they say they don't have chip keys.
You will need another chip key to do the first test though to figure out which side if mal-functioning. If you don't have another key it will cost quite a few dollars to get one made - dealer or specialty locksmith with ford programming tools.

edit: a non-chip key will also make the theft light flash fast and no cranking.

Thanks for the reply, i believe you may be right. The first time it happened, i did try my spare key(with chip) and it did not work. The second time, i didn`t have the spare with me. I have to wait for it to happen again to see how fast the theft light is flashing, but if i remember, it was moderately fast and consistant. I have been told that the transmitter in the column can be changed (and that it is a common problem) or install a by-pass module (like installed with a car starter) . This will bypass the transmittor that identifies the key? I guess i could get the car starter at the same time. Any thoughts??

Update, happened again, but didn`t have spare key with me(do now). Theft light flashes quickly, I was stuck, so i tried a couple of things. I pulled the pats/cluster fuse, and truck started? How can that be? Got it home (about 10min) and put fuse back in and everything ok again. Had a family member scan with their obd tool and no codes are showing up. Found Diagnotic service tips on line, http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/TSB01062PATS.htm
Very helpful, 5 different pats system, mine appears to be B, and explain that some have crank disengaged, some don`t. What i do find on this , is that some type of code should have been triggered!. I also noted the timing out of the autoscan for 30sec when pats theft is triggered must be done, and that my gas speed pass on my key-chain could be interfering with the pats system. Anyone with Pats experience, i would like some input, to help pinpoint this and help others. Joatman.

Well so far it appears that my speed pass (gas charge transmittor) that was hanging on my keychain was the problem. I have removed it from my keychain, and everything seems to be fine. I will reply again if anything changes, but hope this information will help someone else.

You're right it would be the speed pass, it also has a RFID chip in it.

The system works with RF(radio frequency) energy.
- the transceiver in the steering column emits an RF signal
- the RFID chip in the key and speedpass both see this energy
- the RFID chips transmit a code back to the transceiver
- since 2 devices transmit back it gets confused/corrupt data
- theft light flashes fast (wrong key id read)

BTW:the keys / speedpass don't have batteries in them, they use the RF energy from the original transmission. It's the same technology that's used in card access systems (door locks), animal identification (inject a tag/chip under the skin), heard of some high security jobs requiring these to be injected under skin too (can't lose the card) - that's commitment.

Back