• Register Today It's free!

No start

Karlwithak

Reaction score
City, State
Okeechobee Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
I have a 92 Ford Explorer 4.0 . I have fuel pressure and I have Spark. But the vehicle will not start unless I spray brake clean down the throttlebody . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it stay running if you start it with brake cleaner? Does it start if you feather the throttle while cranking? If so, it's probably the ECT and/or IAT sensors.

If it only runs on brake cleaner... unplug the coil pack and hook up a test light or noid light to the injectors to verify injector pulse.

Yes it stays running if I keep spraying brake clean. I've already tested the injectors with a noid light and they are firing. I've checked the eec relay and fuel pump relay too. I have spark also

Yes it stays running if I keep spraying brake clean. I've already tested the injectors with a noid light and they are firing. I've checked the eec relay and fuel pump relay too. I have spark also

But it dies once you let off the brake cleaner? Did you put the noid light on both banks? Did this vehicle sit for a long period of time? It would be odd for all the injectors to stick, you only need a few to keep the engine going.

I think the injectors are working somewhat because I had it running for a while with only sprain a little bit of a break clean keep it running . Next step is going to be pulling the injectors to see what their spray looks like . I had a running for about 10 minutes and only use about three quarters of a can of brake Clean

If the truck has been sitting for a while, I think clogged injectors are very possible. Ethanol gas turns to gunk in no time. All you have to do is pull the injectors and flush them (forward and back). I use a syringe with a hose, and while they normally get 12 volts, a 9v battery should actuate them. It worked for me.

Back