no very much heat

supercj

Reaction score
City, State
tornado alley, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 E x p l o r e r Sport
Hello,

I have a '91 explorer sport w/ the 4.0 v6. I do not have hardly any heat. I have flushed the heater core and have even removed it and the exterior of it is very clean, nothing to clog it. Also I flushed it more while I had it out.
The actuator door does open and close when I more the temp selector.
Still I only have a little heat and when I run the fan on high it is cooler because of the moving air and all. Any help or suggestions of what I can do would be very appreciated thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like the thermostat may be stuck open and is preventing the truck from fully warming up. Does the engine temp gauge stay pretty low?

I just replaced the t-stat and my temp gauge fluctuates (of which I have read is basically normal). The temp gauge seems to "average" not real low in the normal range, just about where I think it should be. I can observe more though. Also my coolant system doesn't have any leaks ...etc. I have a larger radiator than normal if that would affect it, but i don't think it should.

I am having the same problem with my 2000, I will have the heat set at 90 and it does not get nearly as hot as others I have been in. Its doable just takes longer for the truck to heat up, thank god for the heated seats that helps a lot. I set it to A/C and it gets very cold very fast. Puzzling to me I know nothing about the heating system.

The typical heater system is usually pretty simple.

The heater system for the cab is fed by heater hoses from the water pump (and/or motor) connected to a heater (looks like a small radiator). The heater, exchanges the engine's heat with the air that passes over the heater's fins. For additional comfort, air can be provided by a blower fan motor. And, various doors regulate how much of the air is mixed with the outside air and/or how much heated air gets to you in the cab.

So.........check everything.

That being said.........one month ago I changed the thermostat in my Chevy P/U truck. I went from a 180 degrees to a new 195 degree one. This winter it's made a world of difference with feeling comfortable, over what I felt last year.

HTH.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am aware of those main components of the heater system and how it works, thanks for reiterating it though. ;) I have a new 195 deg t-stat and I have flushed the heater core as well as removed. When I removed it the fins were in no way clogged w/ junk and I flushed it even more, just a tiny bit more rust came out and 1 larger chunk, of which I thought cold have possibly hampered my coolant flow inside the the 'core. However now that I've reinstalled it, no more heat whatsoever.
I also have verified that the doors in my ventilation ducts are functioning properly and they seem to be because the important one for the temp selector opens and closes as it should, I could see it clearly.
Is there a possibility that I need to like burp the coolant system, would that have any affect?
Also do I need to get a higher quality t-stant like Stant? The new one I got was the base 1 from Autozone, it's a Valucraft one.

Thanks!

Back