NoCal Slick rock/Deer valley off HW 4/88 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NoCal Slick rock/Deer valley off HW 4/88

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are planning on doing Deer Valley on Labor Day. Please update this thread when you get back and let us know how it went.

I took my stock rig to the limit on these trails. BFG ATs the only thing non stock. To run this trail comfortably I suggest at least a 3" lift for a EX or prepare for some rock stacking olympics. The Deer valley trail is very scenic and has some real easy spots if you run it from the ranger station. We ran it backwards after slick rock and did the hard parts first. So about 10 hours to run. However, once you cross the river things get real tough. I lost alot of my tupperware panels to rocks and got hung up on *EVERY* possible thing on the underside. I highly recommend sliders also! But with the right spotting you wont damage anything. But go prepared with recovery equipment. Plenty of places to camp also....

a few pics are below....

http://209.76.108.95/4x4/SlickRock&DeerValley/

How were the mosquitos? We did the first quarter of it a month ago and the mosquitos were horrible. My buddy in his stock Heep cherokee was getting nervous and wanted to turn around.

bugs were no problem. just dont camp near the greener areas or standing water. you step in the stuff and you see tons of mosquitos fly out. You would be eatin alive at night. But at higher elevations its cool.

soupbone: Did we meet at Frank Raine park? Did you get any more wheeling pics? Theres alot of scenery.

Yea we did meet at FrankRaines. Yea most of the pics were scenery but I have more comming. The camera woman wasnt taking good shots and I didnt take too many cause I was too tired and hot...

Hey Soupbone, that looks like a cool trail, how would you rate it for difficulty if one had the lift you suggested? Pos Vibes, are you going up with a group on Labor day? Do you think it will be crowded?

Zensius, with 5.5" lift you shouldnt have any major problems like me. Group of Jeepers asked me how the hell I got up here in that....... :D

It seemed more crowded off the trail near i think blue lake. Only ran into FJ40s and Jeep groups. Im not really sure about labor day though.....

zensius: I'm going up with some friends from Santa Cruz. I hope it wont be crowded. We were up on Memorial day and we didn't see anyone on the trail.

Back