Noise after strut bearing replacement! Normal?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise after strut bearing replacement! Normal??

Lisa Cobb

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
2011 Ford Explorer limited. 100k miles. Bought less than a month ago. So my struts where shot. Had them replaced at the ford dealership. Drove off the lot fine. No noise. Within that night I noticed a noise when I turned. Like a creaking noise when I turn. Loudest at low speeds. Or at least that’s when I hear it most.

Took it to the dealer today to see what was up with it and was told that they called the manufacturer and they said it’s normal to make a noise for up to 300 miles on new struts as they expanded and get loosened up. I’ve never heard of this and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or have had this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming they did replace strut bearings, it still sounds like something is not right with them. Did receipt list strut bearings in addition to new struts?

I would drive it the 300 miles and see how it does. If sound is still there, I would insist they inspect the strut bearing. Possibly they put them in wrong (dirt in them or torqued them over dirt/rust and they damaged them. My guess.

Keith

What was replaced, strut bearings, struts, or both? What brand/what manufacturer did they have to call? Seems odd.

Suspension noise is not normal.

I would go back to the dealer and speak to service manager or customer advocate/liaison if they have one at that dealership. Ask them to document the noise and put the 300 mile break-in period in writing. Follow up with email to cover yourself. Things have a tendency to change when moved from verbal to written exchanges...

Not normal.
what is the noise exactly? continouous or single click? metalic faint or more deep?

in the receipt you should be able to find the part numbers and exactly what was changed.

Wonder if it could be the washers on the driveshafts end where they enter the hub. Washers are now revised fully metalic but old ones used to produce faint metallic single noise at low speeds when rotating wheels.

I have been working with the customer service manager as my car has had nothing but problems.
So far in the past 3 weeks I’ve had the bearing replaced, Both front control arms, both struts and springs replaced as well as my lift gate motor and struts!

I feel so down that now this is ANOTHER problem. I know I can just wait and see if it goes away within 300 miles like the dealership said but I’m tired of waiting. It’s been a month of nothing but problems. I’ve wasted so much time going back and forth to the dealer, finding ride, missing work, it’s getting me down how much I’ve done for a car I bough less than a month ago.

I have been working with the customer service manager as my car has had nothing but problems.
So far in the past 3 weeks I’ve had the bearing replaced, Both front control arms, both struts and springs replaced as well as my lift gate motor and struts!

I feel so down that now this is ANOTHER problem. I know I can just wait and see if it goes away within 300 miles like the dealership said but I’m tired of waiting. It’s been a month of nothing but problems. I’ve wasted so much time going back and forth to the dealer, finding ride, missing work, it’s getting me down how much I’ve done for a car I bough less than a month ago.

I've changes struts on several vehicles and never any creaking sound that is supposed to go away afterwards.

I don't believe the 300 mile break-in either.
Whenever I replaced shocks/struts/springs, they were silent.
Sounds like something was either installed incorrectly or the bearings were not replaced.

2011 Ford Explorer limited. 100k miles. Bought less than a month ago. So my struts where shot. Had them replaced at the ford dealership. Drove off the lot fine. No noise. Within that night I noticed a noise when I turned. Like a creaking noise when I turn. Loudest at low speeds. Or at least that’s when I hear it most.

Took it to the dealer today to see what was up with it and was told that they called the manufacturer and they said it’s normal to make a noise for up to 300 miles on new struts as they expanded and get loosened up. I’ve never heard of this and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or have had this problem.

Hello

I´m having a similar problem, did you resolve yours?

Thanks in advance

I bet the top mounts are 180* out. Just had a customer with a newer Ford Edge have same issue. Customer just put new struts in and now has a shudder felt through the body when turning side to side. Pulled it apart and found the arrows facing out instead of in. Spun it around 180* and all is well.

Hello

I´m having a similar problem, did you resolve yours?

Thanks in advance
Hopefully she is still monitoring the Forum. She was last active here on Feb. 12th. It is always helpful to follow up on issues that one posts about but it is all too common that is not the case.:(

Peter

Hopefully she is still monitoring the Forum. She was last active here on Feb. 12th. It is always helpful to follow up on issues that one posts about but it is all too common that is not the case.:(

Peter

In this case she probably sold the truck, it was a problem since she got it.

@peterk9 I´m opening my own thread, since it´s not exactly the same maybe someone will respond to my problem.

Did you see my post above about the strut mounts being installed 180* out?

Did you see my post above about the strut mounts being installed 180* out?
Yes I did, but in my case the dealer replaced the toe links, not the struts. Now I realize I didn't explain that, sorry, my bad.

Back