Noise coming from right CV half shaft maybe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise coming from right CV half shaft maybe?

dlphnfn

Reaction score
City, State
Cental Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Sport
Hi all, I replaced the front struts on my 2012 limited 4wd 3.5. Everything went smooth except the half shaft came out of "socket" when I was reassembling everything. I looked it up and it doesn't look like that's supposed to happen. Super pita to get back in and assembled.
Now my right one is making a funky "loose" sound when I hit a man hole cover or pothole or whatever. Should I be concerned? Is there a way to fix it? Everything is tight. There's only what, 6 nuts/bolts for each side suspension anyway?
Left side is perfect. It's only the right side that's making noise. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by came out of "socket"?

Did the inboard CV joint separate inside the boot? If so, that could be a problem if the rollers separated from the trunion.

Did the Inner CV joint pull out of the trans? That should have made a bit of a mess, but as long as the circlip didn't break and you reinserted it, it shouldn't cause unusual noise.

Did you get an alignment after replacing the front struts? What did the alignment shop say about your handiwork?

I'll need to pull it apart again to verify, but it was the outside shaft that came separated from the inside shaft.
I didn't get an alignment. I've normally don't when replacing with the same parts (albeit, new) - only when lowering, lifting etc.
It's all in the boot, so there is nothing to "see". I'll pop it off again tonight to see if there is something obvious.

cv.jpg

I can't see the halfshaft causing this. The spider assy can generally slide completely out of housing, but it should slid right back in. If you turned 120 degrees to next position, the boot would be all twisted and nasty looking. Some housings use a wire ring that prevents it from coming out of housing, but many don't. Spider assy is held to axle shaft with retaining rings and should not separate from axle. My guess is something else is causing noise.

I just did a strut bearing a few days ago. Did you fasten the sway bar links tightly. Where the links in good shape? My guess is its not the halfshaft.
0900c1528003c735.gif

0996b43f802032a0.gif

Assuming everything else was done correctly. Inside that joint is the below. If you pulled the IC shaft out of the inner joint, the rollers/bearings may have separated. The rollers are not always secured to the trunnion and the there isn't always a circlip to prevent the trunnion from being pulled out of the joint. Good luck.

tripodjoint.jpg

There is a special, thin, retaining ring that holds the needles and rollers from falling off. If you beat this thing back together, it is possible you damaged the thin clip and it came off and/or needles came out. I think that chance is slim, and I think the car would make weird noises driving all the time with parts floating around in a sliding joint (not just over big bumps). I am engineer at major oem who builds these joints every day, but I can't say for sure what exact design is in this vehicle either. Maybe Kaygee has more direct knowledge with the explorer specific spider assy. There are several designs out there for these stroking joints. Some have 6 balls and look like a CV Joint, just straight grooves. Most are like the pics below.

upload_2019-3-26_13-13-6.png

I haven't rebuilt CVJs in many moons and don't know the specifics of the explorer joint, but it looks like a typical plunging tripod joint. I was only speculating under the assumption everything else was done correctly as indicated.

If the only problem was pulling the inner joint apart on the right side and that is where the noise is now, then it would seem like that would be the place to start. Assuming there isn't more to the story.

If it turns out something else wasn't done correctly or there was something else done improperly, then the only way to know for sure would be for the op to review all the work done and confirm.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Sorry for the delay... Been busy at life.
So I just disconnected my seat bar end link, and it chirped leaving my drive way. I think it had to be some moving part in the right front. It's been doing it since I replaced the struts last summer. I feel it's benign because it drives fine. Just makes a click/click noise when you get a bump.
I'll look again to see if I can find anything.

"seat bar end link":dunno:

Ha ha. Sorry. Spellcheck! SWAY bar end link.
I pulled the strut assembly out and inspected it. Everything looks fine. Whacked it a few time with a rubber mallet, but seems tight as a drum. I'm going to get a new strut bearing for it in Monday and replace that this week. I'll report back.

Ha ha. Sorry. Spellcheck! SWAY bar end link.
I pulled the strut assembly out and inspected it. Everything looks fine. Whacked it a few time with a rubber mallet, but seems tight as a drum. I'm going to get a new strut bearing for it in Monday and replace that this week. I'll report back.
Why not replace the entire end link?
Easy and Moog sells them for about $25 each on Rock Auto.

Why not replace the entire end link?
Easy and Moog sells them for about $25 each on Rock Auto.
I just replaced the top bearing on the passenger side strut assembly, reassembled, and it still makes noise. Then I detached both sides sway bar end links and it still makes noise.
There are only 6 bolts in the assembly and all are torqued to spec. The rattle is like something is loose. That's why I thought possibly the CV joint. It came separated this last time I had it off too. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I haven't had any issues with my fusion though...
Anyone have insight here? Should the CV pop out and not have any issues or should it stay seated?

Any update on this?

Peter

I just replaced the top bearing on the passenger side strut assembly, reassembled, and it still makes noise. Then I detached both sides sway bar end links and it still makes noise.
There are only 6 bolts in the assembly and all are torqued to spec. The rattle is like something is loose. That's why I thought possibly the CV joint. It came separated this last time I had it off too. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I haven't had any issues with my fusion though...
Anyone have insight here? Should the CV pop out and not have any issues or should it stay seated?
I have had my axles replaced 3 times now in a year, trying to get rid of the exact same noise. I've replaced all struts, swaybar links, control arms, everything! I'm for sure ite axles, because it went away after one replacement. It came back within a week. I only had the first one replaced because the boot got ripped, changing the control arms,, and they wouldn't just change the boot for liability reasons. Big mistake! These shops use **** parts I believe that's the problem. I'm taking it to ford now because I've ordered parts from rock auto and autozone also Napa and they all suck! This noise is making me freaking insane! Drives just fine and nothing is loose. WTF!!!

Back