• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Noise from door panel

asc325is

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A
I swear that I saw a post about the door lock cables not being secured within the door panel leading to a rattle noise coming from each door at lock speeds over rough or uneven pavement. Has anyone has this experience? It sounds like the metal cable inside the plastic sheathing is rattling back and forth.

Has anyone been able to correct this?

TIA - I've been trying to find that specific post for about 3 weeks and it's driving me crazy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I have not found any posts on that issue. I did find one on rear door rattles but that had to do with the way the panels were attached, not the door locking cables.

Peter

fast_dave

Reaction score
City, State
East Bay - Nor Cal / PRK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Spt 4.0 OHV 5 spd 4x4
@asc325is

Sounds plausible.

Remove the inner door panel/card, take a look inside, and report back.

LINK to YOU TUBE Instructions:

Last edited:

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
@asc325is

Sounds plausible.

Remove the inner door panel, take a look inside, and report back.
I think taking it back to the dealer first is the best step since it is new and under warranty. That way they can't say the owner created the problem.

Peter

fast_dave

Reaction score
City, State
East Bay - Nor Cal / PRK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Spt 4.0 OHV 5 spd 4x4
I think taking it back to the dealer first is the best step since it is new and under warranty. That way they can't say the owner created the problem.

Peter
I hear you.

I also have a feeling what the service dept diagnosis will be :)

asc325is

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A
I hear you.

I also have a feeling what the service dept diagnosis will be :)
I can just hear it.

I’ll need to pick a different dealer, the one I bought it from didn’t bother to send me registration paperwork to state 2.5 months ago when I bought it. I had a 2020 xlt loaner and I don’t remember the noise, so maybe it’s as simple as hoping in one with a tech so they hear the difference.

maybe I’ll pop a door panel off this weekend early before the heat hits here in Houston. It looks like a pretty straightforward process.

I’ll update if I get anywhere.

BrianCanada

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST Atlas Bl
Any updates on this? I seem to have a rattle as well on the drivers side door when I close it. All the other doors don't have it. Pretty sure it's something loose inside.

asc325is

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A
Any updates on this? I seem to have a rattle as well on the drivers side door when I close it. All the other doors don't have it. Pretty sure it's something loose inside.
My noise is only while the vehicle is moving over a rough surface.

It appears to be heat/expansion related. In Houston, our temps have been pretty high. This morning it was rather cool outside and there was no noise from the doors.

I'm betting that when I leave work this afternoon it will be making noise again. I saw a thread about door seals, it may be related.

asc325is

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A

Betting this is it.