• Register Today It's free!

Noise from Gas Tank

Joe Fast

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a noise coming from my tank when the cap is on. I have been told that the return fuel line is clogged. Does any one have any experience with this problem or repair? Does anyone know of any tricks to take care of the issue.
Thanx Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of noise? A high pitched whine? If so its the fuel pump, don't sweat it.

No it is blowing air out of the gas cap... If I take the cap off, It goes away... I changed caps and the noise remains.

Joe

Problem solved by filling the tank... It seems the presure of the return fuel cleared the line

Joe

If you start building pressure up in the tank again, check the charcoal cannister, cannister purge solenoid, and related tubing. This little emmissions system is supposed to prevent significant pressure build-up in the gas tank.

So, do you ever fill up the tank with the engine running?

Yes I usually do.... Why?

If this is on your '99, you don't have a return fuel line. 1998 was the last year for return style fuel systems on the Explorer. 1999 went to a mechanical returnless system with an intank pressure regulator.

The vent on the gas cap is the vent of last resort. The emissions control system is designed to vent into the charcoal cannister. This cannister is purged when the engine is running. Filling with the engine running can cause liquid gas to be sucked into the cannister or the purge valve and caused damage. If you stop filling with the engine running, it might clear up when the cannister dries out. The evap solenoid above the spare tire may be stuck closed. This solenoid is prone to rusting and sticking. It will throw a code if it sticks open. Not sure if gives a code if it sticks closed. If you unplug the electrical connector it will vent and not allow any pressure buildup.

i am having the exact same issue with my '98.. the one major thing I have noticed is the huge decrease in gas milage.. going to try and pull the plug on the sol now.. ;)

Well Noise is back.... I Picked up the car and have the same problem... It seems to get worse with less fuel in the system. It has also begun to sputter. Where is this charcoal canister and valve?

JOe

Vent solenoid is located over the spare tire.

Changed the canisters and the problem has been gone for months.

JOe

Okay back to this story. As noted above the canisters were changed and the noise had stopped, however, I now get the check engine light. The Snap-on scanner read no current codes at the time of the scan but the following codes and descriptions were in memory: p1450-Unable to bleed fuel tank vacum, P0171 System too lean Bank 1 and P0174 System too lean Bank 2. We checked the gas cap with the inspection machine and found it to fail twice. Bought a new cap and tested it to be fine. Replaced the cap with the new one. It ran fine for about a day and then the light re-appeared... We checked the scanner again and the codes had re-appeared.... Any thoughts?

Have your truck checked for a possible problem with a fuel pump to the engine bay perhaps. Strange that it happened as a result from low/moderate gas in the tank.

Roy
K&N Filter
Flowmaster

how is the fuel filter

The filter was replaced about 2k ago. I'm wondering if there is a presure-release or vacum-release valve somewhere in the system that could be acting up or defective.

Back