Noise from passenger side rear while coasting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise from passenger side rear while coasting?

TurdyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Bay Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

I've got a 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD with about 199XXX miles on it, I've had it for about four years or so and I've been doing everything I can to keep it going. About three weeks ago I noticed a slight metallic rubbing sound coming from the right rear of the vehicle, didn't think too much about it at first but a week or so later it started grinding while braking, took a look at it and the face of the rotor was shot and the outside pad was about nonexistent. Everything on the left side looked to be in good condition in comparison and considering the age and miles. I figured that the caliper must be frozen or something so I ordered new pads, rotors and calipers for both sides, figured if I'm doing all on one side might as well do all on the other as well. Ordered everything over the weekend and finally got the last of the parts in today so I swapped everything over and bled the brakes real good.

The swap went well and everything seems to be in great working order but I'm still getting a noise while coasting. As soon as I accelerate or brake it goes away. Could the noise I'm hearing be a bad axle bearing? Could a bad axle bearing cause the outside pad to wear at such an accelerated rate compare to the inside pad? I did notice a little play at the hub (if that's what you call the mounting surface on a solid axle?) but I didn't think it to be excessive. Last thing I thought was really strange is that on that side I had to literally pry the old rotor off and had to literally hammer the new one in to place.

I appreciate any responses, guys! It is what it is if it's an axle bearing, seems like it's not too bad of a job and I know the rear diff could probably use some fresh gear oil and a once over at the very least, just want some input before I start tearing into it lol

PS I've got axle code D4 so from what I've read it's a 3.73 limited 8.8 rear end
PPS I included pictures of the wear on the pads and rotor 🤓

77C64BD3-3BEC-4171-8AFF-5CCD9DA7CFF5.jpeg 3A0E6D1C-782C-4A52-B86B-D8381A93438A.jpeg

Attachments

• 77C64BD3-3BEC-4171-8AFF-5CCD9DA7CFF5.jpeg
    77C64BD3-3BEC-4171-8AFF-5CCD9DA7CFF5.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 40

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bearing is what I'd assume, unless the axle/hub plate is bent, what else is left? Once upon a time ago I think I read someone had a collapsing/clogged soft brake line at a wheel that was causing drag, but I don't even remember if that was on an Explorer, and wouldn't account for play. I assume you mean more play than on the other rear axle?

I assume you have two issues. A crappy caliper, and most likely bearings. At 200k both are due.

I now see from your other topic that you think/suspect the vehicle may have been "sunk" which I assume means under water. Depending on the conditions in which this happened, I would wonder about all your drivetrain fluids and bearings... bearings were sealed, but seals wear out like anything else.

Bearing is what I'd assume, unless the axle/hub plate is bent, what else is left? Once upon a time ago I think I read someone had a collapsing/clogged soft brake line at a wheel that was causing drag, but I don't even remember if that was on an Explorer, and wouldn't account for play. I assume you mean more play than on the other rear axle?
I honestly didn't even mess with the other side aside from doing the brakes. But when I had the wheels off I grabbed the wheel studs and gave the hub a good shake and it had some play, maybe 1/8th inch around in any direction.

I now see from your other topic that you think/suspect the vehicle may have been "sunk" which I assume means under water. Depending on the conditions in which this happened, I would wonder about all your drivetrain fluids and bearings... bearings were sealed, but seals wear out like anything else.
Yeah I assume it was sunk in quite a bit of water at one time. I've had tons of electrical problems with the truck and who ever had it before me hacked the main harness in the passenger kick plate.

The weird part about the noise is it's not always rhythmic and it's not always there. I've driven for about a week now and it seems quieter than it was like something is rubbing away. It's only really prevalent while I'm coasting. If I'm accelerating or braking it's just not there. Pretty strange, I feel like it was a bearing it would be a constant noice but I'm not a mechanic. I'm kinda familiar with what a bad wheel bearing sounds like cause I did have a front one go already.

Back