Noise from the front drivers side wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise from the front drivers side wheel

Big6ft6

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
I've just had my front drivers side wheel bearing and upper control arm replaced, and front end aligned. Before the repairs I was hearing an undulating noise coming form the wheel area, but assumed it was the bearing/hub. Now the repairs are done, the noise is still there.

The noise is most noticeable around 30 - 40mph and sounds like a whale humming. The frequency matches final drive revolutions (increases with speed). Very low, I can almost feel it as much as hear it. It is very annoying while driving becuase I can hear/feel it even over the radio, but my passengers don't notice???

I'm hoping it is the tire, and when I get a chance I will quickly switch drivers side wheels to see if it makes a difference. But my mechanic said he had rotated the tires and the noise is still coming from the front drivers side, so I hope he is lying and didn't really rotate them, becuase if he did that means it is something else?? I wanted to ask what else it could be so I can look around when I'm in the garage.

Oh yeah, I have an AWD 2001 limited with newer tires, but I didn't own it (just purchased the truck) when tires were installed so I can't tell ya if the problem was there before the new tires..

Back