• Register Today It's free!

Noise in steering

92FOX

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Riley, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer AWD
I've got a 2006 Mountaineer V6 AWD with 122k on it. Recently my wife has noticed that there is a noise coming from the front end. I checked it out, and can only hear this noise when going over about 40mph, and only when the steering wheel is turned anything to the left, but most when it's only turned slightly (such as on a long, not sharp left hand turn on the highway). It isn't overly loud, I had to really try to find it the first time...but now it bothers me to no end obviously. The steering wheel turns freely throughout the entire range of motion.

I am thinking it may be a wheel bearing, but cannot be for sure. No codes are thrown, can't feel any play when jacked up and trying to shake the wheel, and no noise when jacked up and rotating the wheel.

I also noticed that the intermediate steering shaft's boot is torn, and there's a lot of rust in there, but like I said the steering wheel moves very freely in all directions with no binding or grinding or anything. There is about 1/8" to 1/4" of play in the shaft. I will replace this before the winter either way, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope it's not the steering shaft...$350+?! ouch

i had the same noise but mine was the drivers side bearing. It only made noise when turning the steering wheel going faster than 35. i don't remember if what direction the steering wheel had to be turned but it did not need to be turned much.

my bearing had no play in it and no codes just the noise when the steering wheel was turned

after i got the bearing out it was very gritty.

Thanks. You do it yourself?

Yes I did the bearing myself. At the time I was going to do both front but after beating the one out didnt have enough time to do the other. that was earlier this spring still havent done the other side.

If you plan on doing the bearing yourself I would recommend a oxy acetylene torch (mapp gas will work but takes alot longer, propane is not hot enough)

I used a propane torch, and a 4lb Kobalt little sledge type hammer from Lowes which knocked mine off. They were rusted so bad, it was like trying to separate one metal piece.

Got the driver's side changed today, very easy process and took me a little over an hour.

STILL got the noise, although it is quieter now. Still only does it when the steering wheel is turned lightly to the left and can only really hear it at about 35mph+.

Alignment issue?
Passenger's side bearing?

I'm stumped...

In my world, if one is bad do them both. Especially since they have 122k miles on them. However, I have had tires that made unusual sounds like that under light cornering and freeway speeds. Also, my understanding is that typically the bearing that is bad is usually opposite the side the noise is coming from.

Thanks Gibby, I'll take her apart and see what I find out.

Any idea why it is that the noise would come from the opposite side though? That throws me off...

Shouldn't have said noise, it is opposite the direction of turning that causes the noise. Has to do with the loading of the bearing in the hub.

I have same issue. I replaced caliper and hub bearing. I believe it is CV shaft. Noise is above 35 and slight turn to left or right. I will be replacing CV shaft this week. I had an experienced guy ride with me and he said not transfer case, since only left side and steering input makes it worse. Although after replacing the bearing made it better. After driving awhile it starts to stink like burnt grease. I checked front diff and its not gear oil smell.

Let me know if that makes a difference. What kind of noise do you get? A humming kind of noise?

It was indeed the other wheel bearing. Glad I got it fixed for the wife before deployment.

Back