• Register Today It's free!

Noise! Oh the noise!

west2100

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
What suggestions do you all have for reducing system noise? Such as where to run RCA cables and speaker wires and whatnot.

I currently have my RCA Cables and speaker wire going down the right side of the car in the floor, in those wiring channels already installed, but I have horrible hissing unless I turn it up, and even then it's still present.

Why don't we all just post how we ran our wiring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have my Power Wire and Remote Punch Bass for my Amp running down the driver side of the X, while my RCA and Remote Wire are running along my Passenger Side, both under the plastic door trim/carpet.

I have no problems with hissing...so hopefully someone else will be able to help you out...

west2100 said:
..., but I have horrible hissing unless I turn it up, and even then it's still present.

Why don't we all just post how we ran our wiring?
If the hiss sound doesn't change much when the engine is off or on, I suggest that you change the 'gain structure' so that you have to drive the amp harder (more volume knob) for a given loudness level. Sometimes if the gain of the amp is set too high, you will hear too much hiss. Hopefully there is a gain control on your amp that you can turn down as much as possible, this should drop the noise. Turn this level down so that you have to have the HU turned almost all the way up before the amplifier distorts. Let me know if this helps.

Al

System noise is caused by a few things:
1. the stock filter Ford uses to filter out fual pump noise
2. Bad ground location, wires, or ground loop
3. poor quality equipment or cables

You should ALWAYS route signal wires seperate from power wires.
Never cross over a power or ground wire with the signal cables.

Keep the ground as short as possible while at the same time grounding somewhere that works. keep in mind the battery is grounded to the frame, body, and drivetrain.
The frame makes the best ground.
Your frame only makes a good ground if the wires attaching the battery to it are in good shape.

You can try a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, it goes in the RCA cables, however if you ask me this is just a band aid for the real problem.

If the equipment is bad you will never get rid of the noise.

just some tips!
I simplified my system ALOT to get no noise, I also use high end components and wiring. I have over $500 just in my monster cable RCA's...
I used to have a deck, a electronic crossover network, and 4 amps, never was able to eliminate the noise totally. Crossover network was at fault.

Now I have deck, 1 amp, and 17 speakers :) no noise, all cross over is done in the deck and amp. They have come a long way!
All new battery cables were the best step I took to eliminating noise and other electrical problems.

I have a 0 gauge cable bolted directly to the frame, going through the floor into a distribution block with 4 gauge ground cables going to each amp. Not sure If it's too long, but I did my best.

I have hissing at all volumes, much worse at lower ones, and my turn signal causes interference to the point that I hear it through my speakers.

Alternator whine is also bad, and my amps cooling fan on the kicker amp seems to whine, with the whine changing pitch at different RPMs. I use an Eclipse head unit, Kicker Speaker amp, Hifonics subwoofer amp, the ground wire is all by knuconceptz, but the power and rca cables are cheapo wal-mart scosche wiring kit remnants. I really need to upgrade everything, and now that its summer I have the means to. Basically I'm just trying to find a temporary solution until I rip it all out and rewire.

I messed around with the gains, and at 3/4 volume set them to be relatively loud, and nearly all of the hiss is gone. Though some of my other wiring issues persist.

fOR BEST PERFORMANCE GAIN SHOULD BE SET AT 1/2, you will always have distortion and hissing with the gain set on full.

Get rid of those RCA's!!

Your problem to me sounds like a ground loop issue, you need to start at the battery, I bet your battery cables are fried

No no no, the gain isnt set at 3/4, it is roughly at 1/2, but I set the gain with the head unit at 3/4 volume. I know I need new RCAs, can you suggest some for me?

You can get decent RCA's at radio shack actually.
I prefer Monster Cable high end RCA's but they are PRICEY :)

Ah, alright. Wasn't there a thread about grounding components in the engine compartment to reduce strain? Anyone know the link to that?

Are there some monster cable fans here? (Special low oxygen cable woven by Peruvian virgans?)

I have this bridge I'd like to sell... :rolleyes:

Heh

I have nothing against people that like Monster Cable. It's nice stuff, but I don't like the way that sort of installation material is marketed. Some car audio sales guys will try to pressure you into buying some crazy stuff. Consider the price very carefully, hopefully you get a smoking deal on it, otherwise do your best to find some no-name quality stuff and save your money to spend on your speakers and components. Get some nice stranded wire, heatshrink, lugs and crimp connectors from a store that sells electrical supplies. Dress things up after with split loom tubing.

1. the stock filter Ford uses to filter out fual pump noise

Would this also introduce interfearance into CBs? How do I fix this? I have a hissing the is dependant on the engine.

West's Ex is so ghetto right now its great. Its the greatest ghetto wiring job Ive ever seen. Awesome. Hes gonna get all this wiring stuff fixed and put his floor back together eventually....I just hope he doesnt ask me to help. I dont want to be anywhere near that wiring ever again. You gotta get some pictures of it.

Back