• Register Today It's free!

Noisy Brake Pedal

keleko17

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EB and 1999 XLT
My 2007 has a noisy brake pedal. The vehicle is my wife's daily driver, and I can't really tell if it is affecting the braking, or just an annoying noise. I feel as if I have to push the pedal harder than I used to, but again that could be just my imagination.

Doing a Google search, I found some F-150 forums that ranged from a brake booster, to a linkage, to needing to change the brake fluid.

If it is the linkage, they said to use silicone spray.

The only way I can describe the noise is an old man groaning. If I keep the pedal constant, it gets quiet. But if I adjust my pressure, it keeps going.

Any help? Or anyone have the same noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like a booster moaning.

Try this: when you come to a stop, apply the brakes as you normally do, and if safe, let go of the brake pedal, and then quickly re-apply the brakes. If the pedal is harder, and you have more brake authority, your booster may have a leak.

My 06 v8 has the same noise, no isues with braking, no fluid leak anywhere. I have had it for probably 3 years or so. 159k miles, and I have not changed the fluid - I know I should have long time ago. Probably this summer.

The master cylinder is bad and needs replacement. Just went through this on my 06. Trust me.

So, assuming one of the above is the right diagnosis, is there a safety issue?

I am not a mechanic, if I was I wouldn't be asking for help :)

So, assuming one of the above is the right diagnosis, is there a safety issue?

I am not a mechanic, if I was I wouldn't be asking for help :)

Yes. Maybe not now, but your brakes are failing. I had a Chrysler 300M that had the moan, and squishy pedal. Over time it kept getting worse, until finally one day in high speed heavy traffic everyone slammed on their brakes, and I found that I didn't have any. I pumped the pedal like mad and luckily it hardened up before I ran into the guy in front of me. That resulted in a new booster and master cylinder that night.

Rule of thumb: If your brakes aren't perfect, you're at risk. Its the only thing on the car you should not cut corners on.

That sounds like a booster moaning.

Try this: when you come to a stop, apply the brakes as you normally do, and if safe, let go of the brake pedal, and then quickly re-apply the brakes. If the pedal is harder, and you have more brake authority, your booster may have a leak.

I tried this, and I didn't feel as if the pedal was any harder. Does that eliminate a booster leak?

I called the dealership to see what they would say, he pointed to the brake booster.

Verbal quote to replace was in the neighborhood of $600

I'm sure there is a quick link on here to a video or tutorial, does anyone know where without me having to search?

Back