• Register Today It's free!

noisy lifters

RichardOdie

Reaction score
City, State
Abbotsford Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1991 XLT
For a few months my lifters have been making a clicking noise from time to time, i am going to change my lifters and cam shaft to try to rid this problem, can anybody tell me aprox how long this will take to complete. My explorer has the 4.0 liter 6.
Thanks Odie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

beware, that clicking could also be your pushrods.

im pretty sure u have to drop the lifters out the bottom of the motor on that one....so it will be a fairley time consumeing job....

I just had that same problem, took it into the shop.... lifters, push rods, camshaft. A lot of stuff was messed up. I had to have another motor put in, turned out to be cheaper then having everything replaced on the old motor. good luck man.

Ther e is a write up in the technicial section on the site. It is very detailed. You can do a search or I think you can access it from the home page. My current motor has a lifter tap. The stock motor had the tap and it lasted for like 40,000-miles before the oil pump broke and I changed motors.

Back